Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro A-mount lens reviews

reviews found: 39    << 1 2
reviewer#3619 date: May-20-2008
positive:
comment:great lens
reviewer#3200 date: Jan-22-2008
compared to:- Minolta 50 1.7
- Minolta 28-80 4-5.6
price paid:450 EUR (new)
- Build quality
- Look and feel
negative:- Slow focus without limiter
comment:Wow... I like this lens a lot. I never thought I needed such a lens, but now I know what a difference a good lens makes.

The details that this lens reveals in portraits are fabulous.
reviewer#3175 date: Jan-13-2008
- Nice bokeh
- Great macro
- Excelent build
negative:- Hood
- AF hunts a bit, in low light
comment:This one is by far my best lens. Its great for portraits, and superb for macro photography. I use it sometimes with a kenko 2x teleconverter, and i still have great bokeh, sharpness and colors (at f5.6), with an obvious increase in macro capability. The hood is not one of the high points of this lens...
Great Lens!
reviewer#2901 date: Nov-1-2007
compared to:18-70 kit zoom, Sony 75-300 zoom, Minolta 35-105
price paid:700 Swiss Francs
positive:Sharp!
Nice bokeh
negative:Lens hood
Don't really like the EX coating
comment:This is my only prime lens. The image quality is excellent - it blows my other lenses out of the water. It is very sharp, and mostly nice bokeh, although there are some situations which show the octagonal aperture blades.
The focus ring is just right, neither too tight nor too loose.
The lens hood is a terrible design - screw in, to enable use of a polarising filter between it and the lens, which is nice if you need that (who uses a polarising filter for macros?), but it is too large to reverse over the front of the lens when not in use, just falling off if you try.
I'm not really sure I like the EX coating, which is a little too like a very fine blackboard surface for me. That's really a personal preference, though.

That's a lot of text about minor shortcomings. I'd buy this lens again with no hesitation; the image quality is fantastic and the negative points trivial.
reviewer#2108 date: Apr-4-2007
compared to:Sony 50mm 1.4, Minolta 50mm 2.8 Macro.
price paid:400.00
positive:Sharp, and great color, light for build quality.
negative:Focus is slow, real slow.
comment:It's a good lens. The color is better than the Minolta and similar to the Sony. Sharpness at the edge is way better than the Sony and as good as the Minolta. Center sharpness of the Sony is "slightly" better than the Sigma and Minolta. But when it comes to the edge the Sony falls flat fast. Overall sharpness if being super picky goes to the Minolta because of it's(my copy) great edge performance @ f2.8 but the Sigma hangs on close. Color I would say the Sony and Sigma are to close to call. The Sigma shines at f3.5 and above and gets better in every way than other two except color.
reviewer#1968 date: Mar-15-2007
compared to:Kit lenses, Sony, Nikon, Canon. Little experience with other macro lenses with digital cameras, some with film.
price paid:4000SEK (650USD)
positive:- Sharpness
- Colours and contrast better than kit lenses
- Sharpness
- Works great in many lighting situations
- Heavy, with SSS/AS and my reasonably stable hands I can take hand held macro photos
- No CA, barrel/pinc. distortion
- Brutal looks, feels like a tank, though with silly gold rim in the front.
- Did I mention sharpness?
- DG = can also use in film and upcoming pro Alpha, if it's FF or 1.1x crop
negative:- Lens hood can not be stored backwards over the lens. Too small and would cover focus ring.
- No center pinch front lens cap means
- An EX look front lens cap would add to the good looks
- Recommendation to Sigma: Create a new better EX style front cap with
- Too sharp for some situations, I now have to brush the cat and clean our apartment better
comment:I have the Sigma 70mm Macro DG EX, and am very happy with it, and keep using it a lot for the sharpness. In fact, it is almost too sharp. Photos of my cat show a bit too much detail about what is hidden in the fur, that I can barely see with my own eyes. Portrait photos show the texture of the skin and any defects a bit too well. But see this as a positive sides; the purpose of the lens is to be accurate, and the material is great to use in Photoshop, for postprocessing with softening and retouching etc. In extremely long exposures and small aperture sharp light sources get a nice or awful, depending on your taste, star shape. I don't have anything bad to say about the bokeh, even though it has 8 non-circular blades, then again I don't have any especially beautiful ones either.

The autofocus works great in low light, but not so well in macro and low contrast. I've now learned to use the focus points in extreme situations, so that I pick a focus spot, and then do a final adjustment for composition. If I weren't so lazy I'd use the focus limiter more. The fidgeting I have to do is in situations where most would use manual focus, but this lens does a great job in AF. I also find the AF more accurate than my own manual focusing.

I also find the contrast and colours better than the 18-70 kit lens. While I haven't used a real "G" lens, this certainly feels two quality levels above the kit lenses for Sony, Nikon and especially Canon.
reviewer#1884 date: Feb-24-2007
price paid:385 usd new
positive:Extremely sharp and light
negative:Feel of finish
comment:Fantastic macro and portrait lens. Little to complain about other than the usual EX finish which IMHO looks and feels a little cheap. My best portraits are with this lens, which is even better than the 50mm 1.7 or 1.4.
reviewer#1823 date: Feb-12-2007
compared to:Minolta 100mm/2,8 macro (original). Sigma 180mm/3,5 EX Macro.
price paid:L229 (new off eBay)
positive:Very, very sharp with excelent build.
Metal lensshade.
77mm filter thread in front of lensshade
negative:62mm filter size that could have been 55mm according to front lens size.
Stupid front lens cap that can not be used with lensshade in place.
Lensshade can not be stored backwards over lens to save space.
comment:This lens is an excelent choice for APS-C cameras, not to long and not to short. Also a very good companion to the longer 180mm or 200mm macro lenses. I use the longer for really close up macros and the 70mm for medium to close macros. The size of the lens also makes it well suited for travelling where the 180mm might be to big and heavy.

It is extremely sharp, even sharper than the 100mm Minolta (although I have not made any scientific comparisons). It has a very solid build feeling and manual focusing is smoth. AF speed is not particularily slow. There is a focus limiter that will speed it up when used in AF-mode.

The lens arrived in its box together with a soft pouch, a bit larger than nessecary but well padded. A 62mm screw in metal lenshood was also included as standard. Unfortunately the lenscap can´t be used when lenshood is mounted by two reasons: no 62mm filterthread inside hood and no center pinch cap. BUT the hood has a 77mm filter thread in front of the hood that makes it possible to use a 77mm lens cap. But why doesn´t Sigma provide a center pinch cap and inner 62mm filterthread? And why make the hood just that little too small to be stored reversed over lens?

Edit 2011-05-03:
Focal lenght a bit short on full frame.
reviewer#1431 date: Nov-16-2006
compared to:er, everything either side of it! Minolta 50/2.8 macro (original/NewRS/NewRSD), Tamron SP 90 Di
positive:- DG
- metal hood
- eight blades for good blur control
- focal length (105 on a digital)
negative:- hunts in low light without the lmiiter set
- eight blades, but not circular, so spot lights are perfect octogons (I wanted circles!)
comment:metal hood (you get a lens hood!) and you can use a 77mm lens cap on the hood so you can leave the hood in place

- Build is exellent, very Sigma EX (some people love/hate the Sig EX build, I like it)
- AF in good light with the rev limiter on (focus limiter) is good. For a macro. My initial impression was that this was quite a fast focusing lens for a macro (as we know macro are know to be slow AF, this one is pretty good)
- eight aperture blades, so the out of focus areas are nicely dealt with,
- but its not a circular aperture ... and all my other lenses are circular aperture, I go out of my way to get highlight in my out of focus, and I must have a perfect circle (I know, I need my head read!)
- the important bit:
1 - sharpness is EXCELLENT, gets a 5
2 - DG I've got a shot of a leaf against white sky, I'll go dig it out and post it, Sigma 70 handled it very very well, no CA, no purple-fringe. Absolute nailed the test in terms of against white sky - perfect in that sense.
reviews found: 39    << 1 2