Sony Carl Zeiss 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Vario-Sonnar T* A-mount lens reviews

compared to:Tamron 28-75/2.8
Minolta 24-50/4
Minolta 35-70/4
positive:Sharp wide open
Bokeh is smooth under right conditions
Fast focus
negative:Price hahaha
comment:Well, you always wonder until you try it yourself. Now I understand.
The detail, micro contrast &3D effect from this lens are fantastic. I have had it for a week & a half now & enjoying learning the lens very much. I don't think I will buy cheap lenses anymore. Not that the Tamron & the 2 Minoltas I compared it to are bad lenses, they are just not in the same league. I will probably keep the Minolta 24-50/4 though since the low contrast makes it very useful in some situations.
reviewer#9445 date: Sep-24-2011
compared to:tamron 28-75
positive:sharp, silent
negative:could have better range.
comment:I didn't believe the hype of this lens until i bought one when i bought an a850. They hype is not hype. It delivers an image that does have that special pleasing look. I bought this combo before going on a trip to China and used the 24-70 99% of the time. The only time i used my 70-300g was at an animal park. Although the focal length is good, I generally like a bit more range for a walk around lens. I didn't seem to mind it too much in China, and with 24megapixls, i am able to crop pretty heavy, but it would be nice if sony could make this lens with a bit more reach and still retain a constant 2.8 and the image qualitys this lens has. Other than that, which is my personal preference of shooting, this lens made me FULLY realize the value of a good lens and that, in this case, the money spent on the lens was worth it.
reviewer#9444 date: Sep-24-2011
compared to:CZ 16-80mm f3.5-4.5 Vario-Sonar
CZ 85mm f1.4 Planar
price paid:AU$1,358 new
positive:Remarkable optics and build quality.
Quick, silent SSM focussing.
negative:Heavy, but well balanced on a99 or a900/a850.
comment:This is one very fine lens. Beautiful image quality and solid, precision build quality. Compares very favourably to the CZ 85mm f1.4 Planar, but of course has the advantage and convenience of its zoom range, making it a great walkabout lens on a full frame DSLR like the a99, a900 or a850, on which it feels well balanced. Perhaps a little less so on lighter bodies.
On an APSC sensor the zoom range becomes a cropped equivalent of 36mm to 105mm, losing range at the wide end.
Like the CZ 16-80 Vario-Sonar, I find it produces remarkably crisp, saturated images with that special 'zing' about them - don't know what's in the T* coating but at times it's almost like a polarising filter effect.
The SSM focussing is super fast and sure.
A big investment but a definite keeper.
reviewer#9312 date: Aug-7-2011
compared to:Sony kit lens
Min 50/1.7
price paid:1200 AUS
positive:Tack sharp
Fast af
Solid build
negative:No major issues
comment:Wow, what a lens! Just picking it up is an experience. Super sharp lens with a super quick focus. Images on A55 are tack sharp and have that pop factor. Definitely deserves to be on a FF body to get the most out of it. SSM works great for movie mode, even though I use an external Rode Pro Mic absolutely no noise pickup from lens focusing.

Small issues are no zoom lock, as I use a Black Rapid shoulder strap and the lens always ends up at 70mm. Neck strap is not advised as it is a heavy lens. Also seems to have an issue on focusing as af doesn't always seem spot on and mirco manual adjustment needs to be done. Haven't done firmware update for A55 so, see what happens after. Lastly lens has a little movement against A55 body, none too concerning though.

Can't wait to go to FF, bring on the A99!
reviewer#9090 date: Jun-5-2011
compared to:Minolta 24mm f/2.8
Minolta 28mm f/2.0
Minolta 50mm f/1.4
price paid:$520 USD (new)
positive:Great range on full frame
Sharp across the range in the centre, slightly less so at the corners, but only really if you are pixel peeping.
Fast accurate focusing.
negative:None so far.
comment:I only received this lens last week, but I love it already. The price I posted above is not a mistake, but the discounted price Sony gave me as compensation due to the mucking around I have had with my Sony 70-200mm lens.

I am using this lens as a walk around lens and yes, it is a little heavy on my A850, but I don't find it inhibitive and could easily walk around with it all day. I find the build quality is great too.

Focusing is super fast, silent and accurate. To be honest I haven't used my primes since getting this lens and I think they'll now be taking a very extended holiday from my camera bag.

While I probably wouldn't have bought it if I didn't get the discounted price from Sony, I'm really glad I have it now. Recommended!
reviewer#8989 date: May-3-2011
compared to:CZ 16-80
positive:Solid Build
Good Contrast & Colour
Fast Focus
Sharp from f2.8
negative:Nothing apart from weight
comment:Stunning performer. Sharp, great contrast & colour straight from f2.8. Pictures generally taken on dull days are sometimes washed out. Not so with this lens, lightroom can still pull a very good image out of the bag!

There is nothing not to like about this lens other than the weight as a walk around. You certainly know you have a hefty piece of glass on the camera! Oh... and of course the price!
reviewer#8913 date: Apr-12-2011
compared to:Tamron 17-50 2.8
Tamron 28-75 2.8
CZ 85 1.4
Solid build
Fast focusing
SSM great for video
negative:Heavy
Not ideal on smaller bodies
Range likely better on FF
comment:Great zoom lens with excellent image quality straight from f2.8. I use this a lot for both portrait and live music work. The range is good on APS-C but is probably much better on full frame cameras. The extra 4mm between 24mm and 28mm on other zooms is actually very useful.

It's a large heavy lens so is best on an A700, A77, A850 or A900. On my A580 it's poorly balanced and I tend not to use it.

*UPDATE FOR A77* - Focusing is excellent with the A77. Super fast for stills and when shooting video it's smooth and silent. (while zooming for example you can barely if at all see it adjusting focus)
reviewer#8822 date: Mar-22-2011
compared to:* KM 28-75mm f/2.8
* Sony 28-75mm f/2.8
* Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 Macro
positive:* Great color and contrast.
* Fast SSM motor.
* Sturdy build.
* Good range for a walkaround lens on either crop or full-frame sensors
negative:* Corners are soft when used on a full-frame camera.
* Very heavy - feels poorly balanced on entry-level bodies
* Image quality is not that much better than the 28-75mm f/2.8 lenses on the market, which costs far less.
* SSM motor seems to drain the battery more quickly than screw driven focus
comment:I recently picked up a like-new copy of this lens for a great price, and I'm very happy with it. Color is good, images have great contrast, and it focuses very quickly. It's heavy, though, and feels uncomfortable on an a580. Balance is much better on the a700 and a850. The build quality is good, and even the little things seem well made - for example, the lens hood (which is metal) fits on more solidly and snugly than any other one I've used, including the hoods on other G lenses.

Though it's a very good lens, it's image quality is not leaps and bounds beyond the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and its other variants on the market. In fact, other than color rendering, I doubt you'd see any meaningful difference unless you are pixel peeping or making very large prints. If you want or need the best, by all means, buy this lens. If you're satisfied with "almost as good and a whole lot cheaper", pick up one of the 28-75mm f/2.8 lenses on the market - you should be able to find the Tamron version for a quarter of the price.
reviewer#8618 date: Feb-5-2011
compared to:KoMi 28-75 f2,8
price paid:1011 Euro like new
positive:well build, fits in my hand as a glove, flare control, speed, max. apperture, sharpness, microcontrast
negative:manual focus is a bit tricky with hood reverse on
comment:My first CZ lens for Sony, I play around with it since two weeks.
I love the wight (no joghurtcup ;-)), it#s fast and sharp, the coating is fantastic - in ambient light one might think to have no glass in it.
reviewer#8604 date: Jan-31-2011
compared to:Minolta 28-135/4-4.5
price paid:1200 CAD (used)
positive:Sharp, fast AF, beautful contrast and colour!
negative:Heavy (but to be expected), no weather seals.
comment:What a fantastic lens on the a850. The sharpness, colour and micro contrast are so amazing for landscape. I got it late in the Fall, and the last few sunny days with the leaves still clinging to the trees were an eye-opener!

The extreme corners do get mushy at 24mm, but so much of the frame is perfect that it's not as big of a deal as I expected.

Great sharpness throughout the range overall. AF is very fast, quiet and accurate.

Great close focus ability too, making it a terrific (but heavy) walkaround lens, and bokeh, if a little sterile sometimes, is pleasing.
reviewer#8601 date: Jan-31-2011
price paid:860 GBP S/H
positive:Vibrant colours, clarity, looks and feels reliable.
negative:Extreme corners can be poor and blurred @24mm, heavy for carrying all day.
comment:I have spent ages trying to decide which 24 - 80mm lens to buy. Reading a whole variety of reviews left me more confused as to what to get.
I had thought of Minoltas or Sony 28-75 and a macro prime but at the end of the day, I had the budget, so I purchased the Sony CZ24-70mm ZA.
Am I disappointed? No.
If you have the budget and you are looking for a zoom, this is your lens.
My original nerves (because I was about to part with a lot of money) have very quickly disappeared since this lens has been attached to my camera.
I cannot speak highly enough of this lens in general. My only caution to prospective buyers is: there IS distortion in the very edge of the corners. If you are meticulous enough to go in to 100% on images at the very extreme corners and expect the very highest detail - you will be disappointed. If like me you crop or print smaller, you will never notice.
What you will notice is the overall quality and stunning images that this lens is capable of. It will be worth every penny that you finally pay for it!

Sharpness gets 4.5 for the corners. Now firmly attached to an a850!
reviewer#8493 date: Jan-8-2011
positive:Fast AF
No AF-noise due to SSM
Sharp (5x)
negative:Heavy
AF not working ones on a700 (dismount and mounted again, no problems anymore)
comment:First shots with my a700 gave me an 'AHA'-Erlebnis. It was like coming home for christmas.
Next weeks it will be fitted to my a850. Surprise me baby!!!!
......
I couldn't wait for a weak and now I have to cry....... I'm so happy
It is a true eye opener. Is it the a850 or is it the Zeis?????
What a great combi!!!!
reviewer#8291 date: Nov-24-2010
compared to:STF
70-300 G
KM 28-75 (D)
price paid:1700 USD (New)
Fast
negative:Expensive
Heavy
comment:This lens is a better choice than 28-75 in APS and IMHO must have for FF if you don't have super wide lens. I am buying FF lenses exclusively in the hope that I will buy FF dSLR when price is right.

It is sharp and fast (aperture and AF). SSM also silent which is a bonus for video. And the DMF is great to have. Build like a tank. I drop it to concrete from 20cm (not direct fall as it hit my sandals first) and it only have just barely noticeable cosmetic scratch.

The bokeh is not as good as the G let alone the STF (which is king of bokeh). But the more you see it then you will see there is something to it. Some people say it 3D effect which I am quite agree.

Distortion I guess is standard like any zoom in it's class.

Bottom line, if you can afford it then it is a great lens to have. It is sharper and faster than my 28-75. Does it deserve the 2x price than 28-75? Optically probably not, but with the addition of the built, SSM, and DMF make it so.
reviewer#8287 date: Nov-23-2010
compared to:Sony 70-200 f2.8G
price paid:1400 Euro
negative:Bokeh
Weight
comment:I had to get used to this lens.
My first G lens was the Sony 70-200 f2.8G which I think gives amazing results. The 24-70CZ gives the same sharpness, but I feel the bokeh and colors of the 70-200 are somehow better. Could be it is just physics, that a portrait taken at 200mm gives a nicer background than one taken at 70mm. That's the reason I rate this lens 4 for colors.

The 24-70mm is still a great lens though. It focuses fast and silent. As said the sharpness is outstanding and the 24mm wide end gives you just a little more coverage. Distortion is hardly noticable.

Together with the 70-200 and the 16-35 you will have a super setup to cover most of your needs
reviewer#8282 date: Nov-23-2010
positive:Zoom Range
Build Quality
Immage quality
Color are all fantastic
negative:Weight but with the immage quality who cares
comment:This lens really shines in all areas.
It has a 3D like effect that no other lens that I own has. This is my walk arround lens.
Just completed a 4 week trip to Utah. This lens and my Sony 70-300G make a great pair.

I found it to be fast enough to get great available light pictures at my grand daughters volley ball games.

reviewer#8260 date: Nov-16-2010
compared to:Direct comparison to Konica Minolta 28-75 f2.8
positive:Optics are sharp, f2.8 aperture through out zoom range, T* coatings, contrast, SSM is fast to focus, smooth focus and zoom rings, good flare and ghosting control, no noticeable fringing
negative:To be honest really nothing
comment:I was reluctant to purchase this lens for a very long time since it had quite a high price tag attached to it. However, I pulled the trigger nonetheless. I have to say that the lens is actually worth its cost even though some people do not think so. Sure, it would be nice if its retail price was pushed down a bit. Perhaps.....$1400 regular price?

Anyway, the lens does perform very well. I always thought my KM 28-75 f2.8 was great optically; and it is. However, the T* coatings of the Zeiss give it something extra I think. I'm not sure what, but it gives images a little more punch to them. I can relatively match the punch with the KM 28-75 with post processing, but that's the whole point; get the punch without post processing for it.

As stated, the optics are sharp, f2.8 aperture is constant through the zoom range, T* coatings are excellent helping to provide great detail, contrast is great even at f2.8, SSM is fast to focus and the zoom and focus rings are smooth. I have only tried my lens on my A700. I have not tried it on a full frame camera yet. The frame seems to be sharp corner to corner on APS-C sensors. The lens is a good mate with my Sony 70-200 f2.8 G SSM. If there is any "softness" at f2.8 I think it's due to a very shallow depth of field combined with movement by the photographer regardless of the anti-shake mechanism. Though, minor misfocus can happen with any lens regardless. Flare and ghosting seems to be handled rather well. Though, no lens is perfect handling flare and ghosting. Fringing seems to be well controlled as well since I don’t really notice any. Barrel Distorsion is evident even using a camera with an APS-C sensor at the widest angles 24mm through 28mm. Not noticeable if doing landscape shots, but is noticeable when doing indoor shots.

As much as I want to say buy this lens if you need an f2.8 aperture I will say this to the budget minded; get a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (or KM version) if you need optics that will perform while sacrificing build quality as a result. However, if you need the build and the optics then this is your lens. You will get used to the weight. Since I am used to the weight of my Sigma 100-300 f4 EX DG lens I found this lens to be relatively light (for me anyway).
reviewer#8249 date: Nov-13-2010
compared to:Konica Minolta 28-75/2.8 D
Nikkor 24-70/2.8 G
price paid:2244 SGD (new)
positive:Sharp at 2.8
Focus Hold Button
Moderate flare control
Metal Hood
Convenient AF/MF button toggle placement
negative:Heavy
Barrel distortion at wide end
Contrast loss when dealt with flare
comment:Though I prefer the flare control(Nano Crystal Coating) from the nikkor version, I still strongly believe Zeiss glass provides best sharpness!
reviewer#8234 date: Nov-12-2010
compared to:Tamron 70-200
positive:
comment:
reviewer#8201 date: Nov-7-2010
compared to:Sigma 24-70/2.8 DG EX
price paid:3200.00 NZD (new)
Look & Feel
Handling
Weight
Did I mention it's sharp??
negative:Weight.. it is one heavy beastie
Price, but trust me, you'll never regret the investment
comment:I'd agonized over buying this lens for so long it's just no funny. My justification was that I'd never get the most from it on my A700. Well I updated to the A900 a few weeks ago and that excuse was no longer valid. Figuring I was wasting my A900 investment with a sub-par lens I made the leap and bought the Zeiss.. man from the moment that lens went on the camera I knew I'd made the right descision and quickly forgot about the massive holoe in my pocket.

Is it heavy?? OMG yes!! A900 + VG + CZ24-70/2.8 = ~2.5Kgs but the combination of the body and grip make it well balanced and surprisingly easy to handle. It looks pretty good too and those little blue emblems do attract attention.

Get it.. You'll love it
reviewer#8177 date: Nov-3-2010
compared to:Tamron 28-75/2.8
positive:centrally sharp wide open (2.8) ...much better than the Tamron 28-75
negative:weight?
comment:This is one of my favorite lenses... fast AF, sharp wide open unlike most zooms... It may be a little overkill for APSC but on FF its great...

I initially bought the Tamron 28-75/2.8 which was soft even in the center at f2.8 (unacceptable to me). I bounced around for a while wondering if this lens was worth it... finally bought it and am completely satisfied (cured my 2.8 illness from the Tamron)
reviewer#8160 date: Oct-29-2010
compared to:CZ 1635
CZ 1680
Min 50 1.4
Min 85 1.4
price paid:1000 Euro (second h)
positive:Everything
negative:Weight
comment:This is a h*ll of a lens!! I own it for some time now, but since I use it on the A850 it really shines.

There is nothing I can write that I don't like about it in the daily use exept for the things above.

I'm selling some lenses, because this one is a worthy replacement. Never thought that zooms could be as good as (my Minolta) primes, but this one is. It deserves the name Zeiss on it! Wow!

Love it!
reviewer#8158 date: Oct-29-2010
compared to:sigma 70 mm macro
sigma 50 mm macro
zeiss 85 mm on old contax
price paid:10.000 d.kr.
positive:Sharpnes, color, build, distortion,flare conrol
negative:For some it can be a bit heavy
comment:This is the best lens i ever had - and that mens a lot, and a lot of expensive ones. It neat a very good UV lens to avoid flare. I was sure that I would never get a zoom as good as a prime - this one is. Since I bought my first digital camere I've missed the Zeiss-look, now I've got it back.
reviewer#8155 date: Oct-28-2010
compared to:Tamron 28-70/2.8
positive:SOlid
Zeiss
negative:As with all Zeiss - price!
Much better, and cheaper options.
comment:I know folk get very precious about this lens. TO be honest I think this lens is a joke! In fact I think it must be very embarrassing (for Sony and Zeiss) that the Tamron 28-70 is simply a better lens at a third of the price. Whilst I am all for paying top $ for premium gear this lens simply does not cut it. It's a terrible shame Zeiss churns out lenses like this and then ask us to pay ALOT of money for them.
reviewer#8145 date: Oct-26-2010
compared to:Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 16-80 F3.5-5.6
Sony 50mm f/1.4
Sony 70-300G f/4.5-5.6 SSM
price paid:new
positive:wide constant aperture, sharp, great colours, excellent IQ, fast and silent AF, solid build, smooth bokeh
negative:no dust- or water-sealing; heavy, expensive (price is higher than others), barrel extends while zooming
comment:I like the SSM, which seems to snap instantly into focus, and never seems to hunt. Good sharpness, contrast and colour throughout range. I like it much more than my CZ 16-80 at the same apertures.
reviewer#8138 date: Oct-25-2010
compared to:Mino 24-105 D
Mino 80-200 f/2.8 G HS
Mino 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.7
Sigma 18mm f/3.5 zen
price paid:1500 CAD (new)
positive:sharp, fast to focus, great colours,.....where should I start.
negative:$$ it left a big hole in my pocket.
comment:I am delighted with the purchase. It is absolutely wonderful, sharp, fast to focus and silent when I use it for video recording.
reviewer#7989 date: Sep-18-2010
compared to:nikkor 28, 35 , 50 and 85 prime
price paid:new
positive:wide constant aperture, covers 90% of focal lengths I use, IQ is excellent and excellent build quality
negative:heavy (but not as heavy as 135/1.8 Zeiss) and expensive
comment:I shoot with a FF A850. If I could carry only one lens this would be the one. wide constant aperture, excellent IQ equal to prime lenses at every focal length.
reviewer#7926 date: Sep-2-2010
positive:its good :)
negative:heavy
comment:think it's all been said already :)
reviewer#7887 date: Aug-28-2010
compared to:28-135, 35-105 Old, Tamron 28-75, 24-50, Sony 24-105, 35-70, Sony 20/2.8, 50/1.4, CZ85
positive:- Good bokeh
- Perfect colour
- Excellent MFD
- Sharpness at all FL, all apertures (except extreme corners)
- Fast silent AF
negative:- Extreme corners
comment:Folks, this is the one. I've bought and sold all of the zoom lenses in the "compared to" box and this is in a different league. Don't believe claims that the 28-135 or 28-75/2.8 are as good - clearly they are not.

24mm makes a big difference on full frame vs 28mm. So much so that I feel 24-70mm is a more useful range than 28-135mm. I can always crop, but I can't always step back.

Bokeh is a lot better than I expected (since some reviews complained of dodgy bokeh). Sure, it doesn't quite match the CZ85/135 but that is to be expected. It's much smoother than most other zoom lenses in this focal range.

Sharpness at 70/2.8 (excluding corners) is really quite surprising, not far off CZ85 at f/2.8 - at least on my copy! Though CZ85 is not redundant, given the 2 stops wider aperture, better bokeh, and better sharpness over the whole frame.
reviewer#7860 date: Aug-25-2010
compared to:Minolta 17-35 f/3.5G
KM 28-75 f/2.8
Tamron 24-70 f/3.3-5.6
Sony 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 SAM
price paid:1400 USD (Hong Kong)
positive:Usable images wide open.
negative:Soft in the corners, hard on the arms and pockets
comment:Even at Hong Kong prices, this is a big investment. And it's not exactly lightweight or compact. If you want small or cheap, look elsewhere. But if you want the best standard zoom for your a850/900, this is currently it.

I wouldn't buy one for a crop-frame camera alone, unless you need the speed, because the 18-55 kit is not shamed by the CZ (in terms of sharpness - distortion is another matter). All the same, I use the CZ on my A55 for low light work and video, thanks to the SSM, but only because I have it already (for my A850).

It must be said that, on full-frame, the CZ is not critically sharp in the corners at any aperture or focal length - it's quite smeary wide open, and just "acceptable" at f/8 or f/11. But the rest of the frame is good at all apertures and FLs. From what I see and hear, you won't do better for a full-frame f/2.8 zoom - it's good enough for professional work, and is an easy choice for weddings.

I like the SSM, which seems to snap instantly into focus and never seems to hunt. I find the zoom mechanism a bit stiff, like everyone else, and this is particularly problematic on the tiny A55. Hopefully it will ease up with use. The ribbed rubber on the rings does attract dirt, like everyone says, and the AF/MF switch feels flimsy. I would give 4.5 for build, and 4.5 for distortion if those scores were available. So far no flare - I'll amend the score if it turns out to be a problem.

If money or weight concern you, and you don't care about the blue Carl Zeiss badge, you may be disappointed with this lens. It's good, certainly, but not fully deserving of the mystique which has developed around it, IMHO.
reviews found: 140    << 1 2 3 4 5 >>