Sony Carl Zeiss 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Vario-Sonnar T* A-mount lens reviews

compared to:16-80Z
85Z
70200G
positive:everything
negative:I could nitpick, but I wont
comment:I wasn't expecting to love this thing as much as I do. I figured nothing would come close to the images I take with the 70200G. I simply picked this up for lowlight wedding shots. 3 days of playing with it, and I am just blown away. Even the most humdrum boring test shots seem to have a quality to them. The sharpness wide open is unbelievable. This is my 3rd Zeiss lens, and most definitely my favorite. I posted a question on here about the zoom ring being very snug, and found from others that they all seem to be that way. By the next day though, I am totally used to it. It doesn't seem too heavy, since it's 1/2 the weight of the lens that used to spend all the time mounted. Sure, there is a slight tendency to flare, but I can fix that with a step to the left or right to adjust my angle, so Im not marking that as a negative.

The SSM on this lens is freakish-fast. Far faster then the SSM on the 70200, perhaps because of less distance to move slightly lighter elements, whatever it is, it's amazing. I haven't had a rejected shot because of OOF even on fast moving subjects.

1Hander is right, this sets a new standard for anything that goes into my bag from now on.
reviewer#3895 date: Jul-29-2008
built solid
east to contol DOF
super fast focus
super quiet focus
negative:if i have ti pick one, it would be the bokeh, if it was beercan bokeh you wouldnt be reading this, but its not bad at all
comment:Incredible, cures disease and world hunger. I swear my leg doesnt hurt since i got this thing LOL. Picked it up 4 days ago and its clocked 2783 shots of motocross, bugs, birds, dogs, kids, people, cars,architecture,night photography and just plain ole nothin.

this thing is big and heavy .. heavy ,, heavy, did i mention heavy .....but thats not an issue for me. The absolute best i had ever seen was my sony 70-210 ssm lens, and this lens is most definately better. It seems to be able to do at 2.8 what the sony ssm starts to do at 3.2 or 3.8 in sharpness. at 2.8 edge sharpness is more than tolerable. but again im not a pro LOL

There were some comments on the bokeh and i have to say its not as smooth as it could/should be but its not unpleasant as has been suggested IMHO, but thats just me. to each his own. If it had beercan bokeh it would be a bases loaded -bottom of the ninth homer.

The focus speed is just stupid fast, I find mtself re-half pressing the shutter release just to make sure it actually even moved to focus because its so freakishly quiet and fast LOL

Im not a professional photographer but i did notice a slight tendency to flare a wee bit. I think the hood could be a bit better. I actually tried the ssm hood, it does fit but it does vignette.

The colors are great, im still in love with the colors from my beercan though. (I think they are better) thats why i gave it a 4, i would give it a 4.7 if i could though.

it got a 4 on distortion only because i was taking some shots that happenned to have building next to them, and at 24mm up close the subject i noticed some distortion... nothing severe but its there.

It doesnt happen on every picture, but crareful control of the DOF creates a really awesome 3d kinda of jumping off the screen effect really awesome

up until now, my ssm was the best ive ever known and i considerer it the mark by which all others should be judged but the bar in my camera bag just got raised.

do what you gotta do ......... but get one or two .... LOL

reviewer#3871 date: Jul-21-2008
compared to:Zeiss 16-80
Sigma 17-70
price paid:1800 AUS$ (used)
positive:Sharp, sharp, sharp! Even wide open. EXTREMELY fast and silent AF. Nice focusing ring makes manual focusing OK.
negative:Big and heavy. Some issues with flare in some situations.
comment:Outclasses all lenses I have previously tried! The only lens I've tried that comes close is the 70-200 SSM.

It's big and heavy which is expected, but feels nice and balanced on an A700 with grip. I imagine it would feel a bit front-heavy without the grip.

Flare can be an issue unfortunately. The 70-200 hood actually fits the 24-70 and doesn't seem to cause any vignetting, I will try it with this hood and see if it helps with the flare.

AF is eerily fast and silent, has to be experienced to be really appreciated!

My copy has a bit of creak when zooming, but it doesn't affect performance and I haven't decided whether to send it in to be fixed.
reviewer#3829 date: Jul-10-2008
compared to:28mm 2.0 (original version)
50mm 1.7
100mm 2.8 macro
negative:Big & Heavy
comment:I will post more thorough comments with pictures in the next few days. Initial tests were done on tripod shooting resolution chart at 3 meters. Minolta 28mm f2 (original version) operating at f2.8 at 1/160, Zeiss at 28mm f 2.8 also at 1/160: Oh my god! Completely outclasses the Minolta 28mm. Repeated the test three times because I could not believe it.

Color seems pleasant, slightly cooler than Minolta glass. Build is excellent.

More to follow.
reviewer#3767 date: Jun-30-2008
compared to:minolta 17/35g cz 16/80
price paid:1700 euros
positive:sharpness
negative:heavy
comment:the best lens i have ever used re sharpness the lens is heavy and very expensive but really worth it
reviewer#3723 date: Jun-16-2008
compared to:Sigma 24-70, kit lens, cz 16-80, 50/1.7
positive:Extremely sharp in center, very sharp in corners especially on wider end. Colors and contrast are exceptional.
negative:Bokeh is poor. Heavy but as to be expected given its range and aperture. Price.
comment:Center sharpness is unbeatable even wide open on the wide end, still very sharp at 70mm. Corners are close to as sharp as you can get with primes. Focus speed, accuracy, and quietness are superb. The big flaw is in the harsh bokeh that reveals rings in the right setting. If you can afford the lens and work around the bokeh, there is no other lens that can even come close to matching its capabilities. The sigma is a notch worse in sharpness, color, and contrast, but obviously much more expensive.
reviewer#3702 date: Jun-11-2008
compared to:Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L and new Nikon 24-70 f/2.8G Nano
price paid:1749.00
positive:Super Sharp. The best all-around zoom I have ever owned, period. Fast AF, SSM is excellent and useful for DMF, Comfortable weight balance.
negative:Bokeh is slightly sub-standard for price range.
comment:Updated Review - June 27th 2008

First I must say that I have never encountered a sharper zoom lens anywhere within this range on any manufacturer. There is no doubt to me that it is a great all-around lens and it is the primary lens that I use. After having enough time to really get to know this lens, it provides better IQ then any other zoom in or near its range that I've had the ability to use. Even Popular Photography concurred calling it "an undeniable best-in-class showing" and I would have to agree.

I have been asked for some comparisons. Compared to the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L (on a 40D) it has slightly less distortion, better sharpness especially 24-35mm range, and better contrast through the whole range. In my opinion I would almost say an entire 'class' difference.

Compared to the new Nikon 24-70 f/2.8G Nano (on a D300) the lenses are more closely matched. From the 24-50mm the Sony is noticeably sharper with better contrast, however from 50-70mm I could not detect a difference.

Interestingly, in all cases the Sony was noticeably sharper then the other two wide open at f/2.8, which has a major usability factor. My comparisons above where all with the lenses stopped down to around f/4-f/5.6. Any gap in IQ was exaggerated at f/2.8

The lens also supposedly doesn't have 'weathersealing' and while there is no rubber gasket at the mount, the zooming lens barrel is clearly sealed with what looks like to me a double rubber gasket, but I would have to disassemble the lens to be completely sure. In any case it is above what what I have from other zoom lenses.

It is my understanding there seemed to be a QC issue with some of the earlier builds of these lenses, however after spending over 8 hours testing and scrutinizing images I've found no problems with the copy I received.

It is a great lens, and I am extremely happy with it. If you want what is possibly *THE* best 24-70 zoom for a 35mm format camera, then this is the one. As many people say it may offer 2 times the performance, but it is 5 to 6 times the cost.
reviewer#3691 date: Jun-7-2008
compared to:28-70 2.8 G Minolta
price paid:$1799 USD (new)
positive:Build, responsiveness, outstanding results.
negative:None
comment:I loved the 28-70 2.8 G and was a little skeptical that the upgrade to this lens would be worth the price. However, after just one day of shooting with this lens I knew I wouldn't be using the 28-70...this lens is so much more responsive, quieter, and the focusing much more accurate. And the results are as good if not better. A great lens all around. Yes, it is heavy and expensive but that's because it is built as well as any lens you'll find. Right up there with the 85 1.4 CZ and 135 1.8 CZ IMHO.
reviewer#3649 date: May-30-2008
compared to:Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM
price paid:1550 Euro (new)
positive:everything
negative:nothing
comment:Compared to the Canon (i use the 24-70 L also for work), the Zeiss is like a Leica compared to a Tamron.
I cant say much about this lens because it would be waste of time.
If you have the money, go and get it, and if you read ANY negative fooling about it, don't run away with the idea!
reviewer#3648 date: May-30-2008
Weight
Everything...
negative:Hard on the battery
Small amount of CA
comment:This lens is a dream... My favorite lens bar none, and I have it on my a700 for the majority of the time. It is as sharp as any prime I have used and the DOF is beautiful and easy to control.

It is quite expensive, but you really do get what you pay for.
reviewer#3624 date: May-24-2008
compared to:Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Minolta 50mm f/1.7
Sony 18-200mm
Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 SSM G
Minolta 70-210mm f/4 (BC)
Minolta 75-300mm (BBC)
BEST IQ!!!
negative:Heavy
Flare
Range on APS-C
comment:The best lenses in terms of IQ!!!
It is a totally different class of IQ. After buying this lens there is no way back.
It took me time to appreciate this lens, but since I learned how to use it it is on my camera most of the time.
It is heavy, which can be a problem for some people. I am fine with it.
I wish it had more reach on the wide end. The reach at the tele end is also not impressive, but since the IQ is so great, there is no problem with cropping.
I can see some flares in some cases. Not very bad, but from such a lens I expected no flares at all.

If you have the money - buy it! I hope it will preform as well on the FF camera to come...
reviewer#3611 date: May-19-2008
compared to:Lens in the Sony R1.
Canon 24-70 f/2.8L on 5D
Canon 24-105 f/4L IS on 5D
Carl Zeiss 16-80 f/3.5-4.5
price paid:1750USD + Tax
positive:Has the feel of a precision equipment, which it obviously is.

Feels heavy in a good way. Steadies the hand.

Swift and silent SSM focusing. Even better than the Canon ring-USM.

Obviously, this is also the ONLY 24-70 f/2.8 OEM lens (excluding 3rd party lenses like the Sigma etc) that is stabilized !

negative:None thus far
comment:At the outset let me state that this lens is a total waste on an APS-C crop sensored product like the A700. Why pay the price for a wide-angle Full-frame lens and then get a 36mm on the wide-end and use only the APS-C crop area on this glorious chunk of glass ? This lens took birth to reside on a high resolution Full-frame sensor and provide ultra-clear corner to corner resolution on it.

The lens is VERY sharp wide-open and I personally find the OOF areas very pleasing, although there are reports that under some rare circumstances, it could present un-pleasing background highlights, in the regions that are out of focus (OOF), even though the image (in focus) regions remain RAZOR sharp. I have never experienced it in the couple of weeks I had this in my possession.

I hope to put this on the "A900" Full-frame product when it gets released for retail sales. And hopefully never take it off !

But folks who are used to APS-C lenses like the CZ 16-80 or 16-105 should be pre-warned that this is a MASSIVE lens and dwarfs the 16-80 in size and weight.

Edit: Have been using this on the A900 for a few months now, including on a couple of international trips. Fabulous lens and pairs wonderfully with the A900 (I sold off my A700 in the meantime, since it was not being used, after the A900 came on board).
reviewer#3610 date: May-19-2008
compared to:Minolta 28-70g
Minolta 17-35g
Minolta 35-70 f/4
Beercan
price paid:1,750.00
positive:Fast focus and sharp at 50-70mm. Heavy but well balanced.
negative:My copy has wide angle distortion and factory dust inside the glass elements.Bokeh leaves you wanting if used to classic Minolta glass
comment: Nice hunk of glass takes good shots. Quality control should be much higher for lens of this price range.

I was one of the early buyers when this lens was released. Did not see much heavy use until last few weeks.Hopefully the factory will solve there Q.C. Service from Sony has been next to non existent.Will update should they resolve!

Although not the sharpest zoom my 28-135 has superior Bokeh IMHO. If on a budget go for one used in good condition.

Update
Sony has solved the problem after much debate. Uped my rating.
reviewer#3488 date: Apr-20-2008
compared to:17-35G
16-80CZ
price paid:1,600 USD
positive:great optics, exceptional construction, versatile focal length, fast zoom, SSM motor for quick and near silent AF
negative:heavy in weight, performance at 70mm could be better, price
comment:I found this is a great lens. Although quite pricey but it worth every penny. Highly recommend to everyone who can afford it.
reviewer#3444 date: Apr-8-2008
compared to:Sony 16-80Z/3.5-4.5
Sony 70-200/2.8 G
price paid:2400 sFr.
positive:Superb sharpness
Vivid colors
Nice build

negative:Price
comment:I own the Sony 16-80Z/3.5-4.5 and this lens here is way better. Much less distortion, much less CAs, sharper in the corners (but thats normal since its a FF lens used on a crop camera), very sharp even wide open, fast aperture, fast AF with SSM. Even if my wallet cried, i'm very happy and satisfied to own that jewel!
The lens comes along with a soft pouch like the SAL-1680Z and with a petalshaped hood with the same antireflecting velvet-like surface as the SAL-70200G.
reviewer#3430 date: Apr-4-2008
compared to:2,8/ 80-200 G
2,8/ 28-70 G
1,8/135 Zeiss
1,4/85 G
4/200 Macro
price paid:1500 €
positive:Great Sharpness (also wide open)
Great Colours
Much better than 2,8/28-70 G
Best work around lens
negative:Price
comment:I think this great lens will end the never ending dicussion of the old 2,8/28-70. I have the new Zeiss and had the old 2,8/28-70. There are worlds between this two lenses. The new Zeiss is so sharp for a zoom. I think it compares to the 80-200 G. Also the colors are great. The only thing is, that this lens is very expensive.

But you get what you pay for....
reviewer#3405 date: Mar-28-2008
Typical Zeiss bokeh — so they say
Excellent build
SSM is speedy
Distortion — None that I've noticed
Reasonable focal range on the A700 (36-105)
Best focal range on the A900 (24-70mm)
negative:Heavy
Zoom/focus rings collect dust et. al.
2 samples to get a good copy
comment:Although heavy (2lbs), it works great as a general purpose or walk around lens. Focal range suits my needs even on the A700 (36-105). It took two attempts to get a good copy. From all my testing, it seemed to suffer from a centering defect. New copy is spot on and tack sharp. Color and sharpness of the Zeiss lenses outmatch that of the 70-200G. After using a Zeiss, it's a little disappointing using the 70-200G.
reviewer#3317 date: Mar-1-2008
price paid:1749 USD (New)
positive:Superb Sharpness, Contrast, Colors, Practical zoom range, Fast and silent focus.
negative:Price, Size, and Weight.
comment:The Carl Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8 SSM Lens is an impressively high performing zoom lens. I regard it as one of the best general purpose lenses.

The lens build and mechanical quality are top of the line. It focuses quietly and very fast thanks to the SSM (Super Sonic Wave Motor). Also the focus zoom ring is nicely sized and operate smoothly.

The Carl Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8 is very sharp for zoom lens. It is sharp in the center at f/2.8 at all focal lengths, and the excellent contrast and saturation are what strike me the most in real life applications.

Now on the negatives. The biggest downside of 24-70mm F2.8 is it's size and weight. This lens is not small or light enough for a walkaround lens(due to solid build heavy body), and I find holding this lens can be tiring for half day shooting.

All in all, it is one the best Sony/Carl Zeiss all purpose lens made. The box contains a Carl Zeiss 24-70mm F2.8 SSM lens, front and rear lens cap, a metal petal lens hood, and a leather lens carrying case.
reviewer#3289 date: Feb-19-2008
compared to:new nikkor 24-70/2,8 ED G
positive:overall sharpness, contrast, color, and everything you always look at
negative:flares, shooting some sunrises and sunsets... and maybe the lens hood could be solved the better way too
comment:Very well balanced lens with its weight and size. Working with this lens is very comfortable.
I found the focus ring to be very smooth, excellent for manual focus. SSM makes it too, as you can still focus manually if the camera is set to AF. Silent, quite fast, and very accurate with Sony A700 body. The zoom ring works perfect too. Not easy, not heavy. I had this lens for two days, didnt shoot any charts or laboratory stuff. I caught some flares against the sun /very minor/, so that only 4 points regarding this. Unfortunately I cannot buy one now, but If I ever might need a zoom, Zeiss 24-70/2,8 SSM will be the one for sure.

edit: I must lower the flare points due to deeper experience with this lens. Was travelling a lot now, using the lens in more difficult light conditions, and must say, that the flare control is average.

Was comparing this lens with the new nikkor lens mounted on D300, and must say, that I would deffinetely choose sony system even with the flares problem.
reviewer#3280 date: Feb-18-2008
positive:Wunderful colours, great SSM, perfect in the nature, very sharp and friendly to use
negative:nothing
comment:Hello,

I have now this lense a week and it works very very good.
I use it in the wild nature. The potential is great. And the colours are so wunderful warm all the time and the autofocus is very sharp.
The lense is perfect build.
I use it with the Sony Alpha 700.

I can commend it as well.

Yours,