Minolta AF 70-210mm F4 (beercan) A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#9594 date: Nov-16-2011
positive:Stunning pictures with the A 77
Constant F/4 aperture
negative:Heavy
Lens has problems with low light situations.
comment:Again a Minolta gem. For the price paid you cannot hardly find anything better. The sharpness of this lens is amazing
and this even at 210 mm. The lens combined with the A 77 is a heavy thing but i forget it when i see the results ontained.
reviewer#9583 date: Nov-12-2011
compared to:Sony 18-250
Sigma 50 1.4
Tamron 17-50 2.8
Minolta 50 2.8 Macro
price paid:110 CHF
positive:Versatile
Great macro length for baby photos
Reasonably sharp
negative:Heavy for every day use, but good for short shoots
comment:I bought this as an afterthought, I once had a beercan and it was soft as hell, so I sold it. I saw this when buying another lens and grabbed it at the price. This copy is much sharper, and i am very surprised by the macro capbilty it provides a slightly different macro approach than the 50 2.8, which adds versatility to my lens collection. For this price, definitely worth having around for special shooting needs (portrait, baby macro etc)
reviewer#9521 date: Oct-22-2011
Reasonably Fast
Good Zoom Range
negative:Purple Fringing
Heavy (of course)
comment:If you like purple outlines, you'll love this lens! Even down to f8, this lens in not good zoomed all the way out. It does get considerably better by f11 or so.
All that said, it is still a good lens for the $. It is sharp even at a pretty wide aperture. I like that it feels and looks like a 'real' lens! Be careful of the CA and remember, a lot of that can be taken care of PP.

5-2-2012: Update. The more I use this lens, the more I like it. It truly is sharp. I use it often as a 'walk around' lens. It works reasonable well as a close up lens for flowers and such.
I did have to send it tho KEH for repair, though. The focus just locked up. The repair cost $110, about 1/2 the original purchase. It came back about like new. KEH repaired the focus and went all through it. I think they even cleaned whatever dust may have been inside. All in all,for the price, a keeper.

2013-10-22 Update: Sadly, I just couldn't live with this lens. Zoomed out and at distance it just wouldn't give me sharp results. The contrast seemed to go, too. Some of this was fixable in post, but not enough.
reviewer#9470 date: Oct-5-2011
compared to:Minolta 50/1.7
Zeiss 135/1.8
price paid:110 GBP (used)
positive:Bokeh
constant F4
negative:sharp from ~F7.1
purple fringing until ~F7.1
comment:This was my second lenses and I do like them a lot. On my APS-C (A55) I prefer them for nature/animals/sports shoots. I like its weigh and size, as its allows me to hold camera (hand on camera& hand on lenses) firmly.

Bokeh with those lenses is amazing (I really dislike Minolta 50/1.7 one). I have a few shots, which are unique due to that.

I use primes in lower light conditions, but for fair weather those lenses do deliver.
I had AF problems with object on water (shining background) and in lower light conditions, but apart from that is steady and reasonably fast. I used it for sport photography and with careful focusing I was able to get very good photos.

They don't make a good macro lenses but they are not intended to. Flare control is average (they are 20 years old, after all), so use hood!

reviewer#9402 date: Sep-11-2011
compared to:Minolta - AF 28-135 F4-4.5
Minolta - AF 100 F2.8 Macro
Carl Zeiss - Vario-Sonnar T* 24-70 F2.8 ZA SSM
Sony - AF 70-400 F4-5.6 G SSM
price paid:$200 US
Colors
negative:Focusing is slow
comment:The beercan began my love affair with A-mount. A while ago, my wife (my girlfriend) had a Canon AE-1 that was consistently underexposing, and I had a Pentax "Program Plus" that remains awesome to this day. We were early adopters of digital (Olympus D500L). It was fun but abysmal quality.

Later, married, we took a trip to Japan but *forgot the cameras*! Oops! A short trip later to Akihabara, we came out with an a350 and a kit lens. Nice, but a few frames later, it felt drab, still a digital backwater.

I didn't believe that it could be that bad. I'd never used A-mount, but once we came back from Japan, I looked around for help, and found Dyxum. Looking through the forums, the beercan is clearly unique. I invested a little time, and I happened to find a copy on Amazon, and it arrived -- seemingly untouched from 1985, pristine.

I was blown away. The color and sharpness are awesome. It is different from what I had before. I love the grain of film (digital noise doesn't compare) -- but the beercan, as a lens, brings both technical precision and joy. The color and light capture the scene -- and capture my heart, too!

The bokeh is awesome. Actually, the bokeh is like candy. I like close portraits, where the background is blurred creamy smooth. The beercan is so good at that, I have to force myself away from it, or everything I do will have that beautiful creamy look.

Downsides: Well, it's kind of long, f/4 is a little dark. Whatever, get over it, there are no downsides. You will *never* regret your beercan.

I don't use the beercan much anymore. I now have a 24-70CZ, and a 70-400G, and they are awesome -- and also very expensive. The sword has two edges.
reviewer#9354 date: Aug-24-2011
- nice bokeh
negative:- weight
- small MF-ring
- a bit slow AF
comment:next telephoto lens i´ll ever buy is definitly a 70-200/2.8.. i don´t see any need for other telephoto lenses, due to the outstanding IQ and sharpness of the beercan.. i´m very happy with it.
reviewer#9286 date: Jul-30-2011
compared to:Sony Zeiss 16-80, Minolta 100-200 F4.5
price paid:130 USD (ebay)
positive:solid construction. Its 70 mm low end puts it into the portrait range and it is very sharp.
negative:Heavy and big. Has some chromatic aberration.
comment:Will be selling my Minolta 100-200. This lens beats it for sharpness all the way though, and the low end 70mm is useful for portraits. This lens is sharper than the Zeiss at 75mm for both, I tested them at F4.5 and F7.1. I will be keeping this one for a long time unless the weight begins to bother me more than I think.
reviewer#9267 date: Jul-27-2011
compared to:3 copies of this lens
positive:Very well built
negative:Weight
One of the copies I bought had fungus
comment:Take the weight into consideration before buying one.
If you can test it before you buy it, open the aperture and carefully check it for fungus.
reviewer#9264 date: Jul-27-2011
price paid:70GBP (eBay, 2006)
positive:Colours
Sharpness
Weight
negative:Slow AF
AF hunt in low light/near MFD
Weight!
comment:Can't really add much to previous reviews. This lens constantly amazes me, and every time I have to leave it behind (usually because of the weight/bulk factor) I miss it badly.

Combined with the 7D, which is itself no stranger to a pie, this lens is a serious heft. I love it in some ways (great to handle, stops you from blowing away on windy days) but loathe it in others (strap that combo to your neck on a walkabout and you're getting home three inches shorter than when you left).

A bit of CA wide open but nothing to get one's knickers in a twist about.

Despite its little foibles, I wouldn't change this lens for the world.
reviewer#9262 date: Jul-26-2011
compared to:Various cheaper zooms
price paid:40 GBP (used)
positive:Handy range, great bokeh, decent sharpness
negative:CA when open wide
A tad too soft at its longest end
comment:Got this lens quite cheap as it had some minor scratches on the front element. Luckily they dont seem to affect photos at all, at least I havent run into any problems yet. Yes, this lens is built like a tank and for people used to modern plastic lenses -this will seem big and heavy.
But it really is a great lens for the price. I use it as a walkaround lens, together with 35-70 f4, decent for occasional telephoto shots and just purely awesome for portraits.
Definitely would recommend this to anyone on budget looking for a universal lens with good picture quality
reviewer#9256 date: Jul-25-2011
Well built
Constant aperture
Internal zoom
Inexpensive
negative:Slow focusing
comment:The Minolta 70-210mm f4 was one of the first zoom lenses I purchased in the mid 1980's.
My Minolta film cameras are long gone by now but I still find this lens very useful for low light shooting with my Sony A700 and now with my Sony A77.
The focusing is slow but the image quality is still very good.
It is a very sharp lens and very useful for macro photography. When 1/4 life-size magnification is not enough, I attach a Nikon 6T diopter in front of the lens for greater than life-size magnification.
As a bonus, when turning on SSS in the camera, the lens actually becomes an anti-shake lens, something I suspect Minolta Engineers never dreamt of when they first designed this lens. Kudos for good reverse engineering by Sony to make this possible.
reviewer#9119 date: Jun-10-2011

positive:greate color
very good sharpness
good build
negative:heavy
comment:for price I paid for great lens.
Use on A 100
- price
negative:- heavy, very heavy
- slow forcus
- noisy
comment:With its price, it's very good for tele-photography. It's good for portrait as well when you stay far away from subjects. But you need strong hands, it's quite heavy.
reviewer#9067 date: May-30-2011
compared to:I have compared it to various sigma, quantaray and other similar zooms and they are all rubbish compared to this.
positive:For a novice it's easy to use and the AF works very well on my Sony A33. It is very good for family photos for graduations and playground and outdoor photos of children etc. It will focus and generate crisp strong color photos across two rooms for ebay photos!
negative:A little heavy and when you pull this out people think you are a professional photographer because of the length of lens.
comment:These are typically 150-175 us dollars on ebay and worth every penny. A significant upgrade to this lens appears to be not just a matter of a few hundred dollars but perhaps all the way to $1500 in the g series lens at f2.8. For a hobby photographer there is no real need to go beyond this lens in this range.
reviewer#9047 date: May-23-2011
negative:- big and heavy
- Slow & hunting AF, specially in low light condition
- CA
- Flare (OK with hood)
comment:We can read that lense is like a tank, indeed, it is big, heavy, slow and noisy, but nice shot !!

- This lense is a good one but too hyped, not a legend for me.

- Used on a Sony Alpha55.
- Do not expected to record video with that lense. The AF is too noisy.

reviewer#9015 date: May-13-2011
positive:great colours
great sharpness at 70mm
amazing bokeh
great portrait lens
negative:not much
comment:This lens is the best bang for your photographic buck. It has everything going for it. Even on a full frame, it barely has vigneting at f4 and the colours are amazing. The zoom ring on my copy is very loose, but i don't find that to be too disturbing. Focus is sharp and accurate on my a850. The guy i bought it from even gave me the original leather minolta case in mint condition. There's nothing better than that feel of a classic lens. Can't get anything better for this price period. Great portrait lens.
reviewer#9012 date: May-12-2011
compared to:35-105
35-105N
28-85
24-105D
100-200
positive:F4
I have wanted one of these beasts since they came out in the mid 80's but settled for the 100-200 at that time due to cash considerations. Recently I was lucky enough to come across a mint nearly unused copy and I jumped. It is everything I hoped for - fabulous bokeh and Minolta colors and has that feel of fine machinery that I love about the lenses of this era.
negative:A bit of flare can be an issue but hey it is almost 30 yr old technology. You gotta use the hood, make sure yours comes with it!
comment:I think every Alpha shooter should experience a good copy of the beercan! I was lucky enough to get a very good copy in great condition. I have been told there are some dogs in the beercan pack, some copies get very fuzzy as they approach 210 at F4. Mine is sharp, sharp, sharp all the way through the range!
reviewer#8958 date: Apr-23-2011
compared to:Tamron 70-300
Sigma 70-300
Minolta 70-210 f3.5-f4.5
positive:Build Quality
F4 Aperture
negative:Very Heavy
Only 70-210
Not as sharp as f3.5-f4.5 version at long end.
Hunts in low light (A500)
Not as good in low light as expected as it needs to be stopped down.

Massively over hyped
Massively over priced.
comment:Like the rest of the sheep I believed the hype surrounding this lens, initially I thought it was great but with time and the novelty factor wearing off, I got rid of it and for the price I got on ebay, I bought a Sony 18-55 AND Minolta 70-210 f3.5-f4.5 & still a lot of change ;-).

Given that my f3.5-f4.5 was only £46 It does make you wonder why the beercan costs such much, at the short end the f3.5 is quicker and although slower at the longer end it is sharper than a beercan.

The lack of a hood did'nt help matters, again sadly becuase of the hype these too are well above what they should be(more than I paid for the 18-55). So if you do want to buy a beercan make sure it's got a hood.

Build quality wise beercan's will still be going strong in another 30 years, but advances in new lenses will widen the gap between old and the new even more, e.g look at the Sigma 50-200 hsm or even sony's own 55-200 sam, were it not for the f4 aperture the beercan would be selling for less than £50, sadly although being f4 you do have to stop it down to get the best IQ which then brings it into the region of the newer lenses. Not forgetting that it is only a 210mm lens and that for less than £100 you can get a brand new Tamron 70-300.
reviewer#8938 date: Apr-18-2011
- bokeh
- 1:4 macro on 210mm
negative:- lens hood design
- a bit noisy AF
comment:I bought this lens in a very good condition, with original caps and hood.

Until now my longest lens was 50mm, but I got used to this telephoto very quickly. I absolutely love the bokeh. At the long end there is some distortion going on. But overall lovely lens with great price/performance ratio.

As for focusing I don't think the lens hunts, at least not my copy. It's a telephoto lens, therefore the focus has bigger range and the AF has to go through it. Compared to my other lenses, the AF is significantly louder, which might be an issue for someone.

The lens is quite heavy, but I chose that over plasticy lens and I'm glad.

The lens hood is not designed very well.
reviewer#8936 date: Apr-17-2011
price paid:90GBP
positive:- Very Sharp.
- Constant f4.
- Good color.
- Good focal length.
- Filter size.
- For this price it is unbeatable and jusfiedly legendary.
negative:- Heavy.
- Hunting and slow focus.
- Color fringing.
- Does not balance well on A230.
comment:I have bought this lens from a dyxum member. Would I like to have an f2.8 at this focal length, sure, but I cannot afford it. This is the next best thing for me. I have tested this lense on flowers and some portraits, and I really like it. For me the problem is though that it weighs about double the A230 does, and with its poor grip, cramp in my fingers! Excellent lens though hand higly recommended in spite of its drawbacks.
reviewer#8916 date: Apr-13-2011
price paid:$65 (Used)
positive:Build, Color, BOKEH, Good Focal Range, Affordable, Sharp, Legendary
negative:Color fringing, Size, Moving Focus ring during AF
comment:Amazing lens with GREAT BOKEH, Legendary. I was tempted for long time and when I bought it, it exceeded my expectations. the way it draws is amazing Color or B&W.

Color Fringing is the main problem that I faced. It's apparent on a contrasty situations even at slower apertures!

wonderful lens
reviewer#8895 date: Apr-8-2011
positive:Amazing colors
Internal focus
Cheap
negative:Slow and hunting AF
Rotating front element
CA
comment:I felt like a true Sony/Minolta photographer mounted to my camera. This lens helped me with my "fear" of street photography (shooting strangers was somehow difficult) and I just loved being able to reach details around me that I could only slightly see before.

It is heavy, it hunts, there are CA issues but it's all worth the ride. I loved the colors and if I wasn't about to get the 70-300G, I would have bought a Beercan instead.
reviewer#8888 date: Apr-8-2011
compared to:100-200 F4.5
price paid:280 SGD
positive:+ cheap ( can't deny it )
+ solid metal built
+ sharp even at 210mm F4
+ wouldn't extend when zooming
+ 55mm filter size
negative:+ rotating front element
+ a bit too long
comment:the 100-200 sharp at 100 but goes soft as it reaches 200mm. I shoot my pet dog with this at 210mm wide open and it produces sharpness that make me goes "wow". are you sure this lens is more than 20 years old ?
reviewer#8858 date: Apr-3-2011
negative:Size
Flare
Age
PF
comment:I really like the beercan, it's a very nice lens that I will always recommend!
For the money, it's great value!
but it's an ageing design and you can see that when it comes to flaring and PF, but the sharpness is quite good (as long as you get a lens that's not been abused), it's a little large for what it is, but it's build really well! it always surprises me when i handle it.

Great bokeh in most shots, quite amazing.
reviewer#8853 date: Apr-1-2011
compared to:Minolta AF 75-300 F4.5-5.6 Big Beercan
Minolta AF 28-135 F4-4.5
Minolta AF 70-210 F4.5-5.6 II
Minolta AF 100-300 F4.5-5.6 xi
price paid:IDR 2.000.000 (used)
positive:Bokeh
Minolta colors
BOKEH
Build like a tank
BOKEH!
BOKEH!!!
negative:Not a lens for rich people.
comment:Rich in detail with smooth, creamy out of focus area.
Crop? Please do. It is sharp enough for 100% crop.
Full? Please do. It is imbued with the great Minolta colors.
Baseball? Please do. It is 100% metal short bat.

The legendary lens, the gem lens. Peoples told you what it was, now, and then. For such price, you cannot get a lens better than this. Give it scratch, no lens hood, no cap, fungus, whatsoever, get one. Get one! And I meant it. AFAIK, no lens produce such a nice combination of bokeh, sharpness, and color better than this lens. A few lens my produce better sharpness, nice corner, good CA control, you name it, but remember, a photo is a whole, not a partial.
And you can call me Minoltard.

The only reason it is not the jack of all trades is it's range.

Oh, and last one, this one clearly not a lens for rich people. They use G.

:D
reviewer#8831 date: Mar-26-2011
positive:Fixed length
Beautiful brokeh
Constant F4
negative:Cannot access focus ring when hood is not being used.
Bad CA @ 210/F4
comment:Everyone needs to own this lens at some time in their collection.
reviewer#8818 date: Mar-22-2011
compared to:Sony DT 55-200 Sam f/4-5.6
price paid:110 (used)
Color
Smooth Zoom
negative:Weight
comment:Very good performance until 150 mm, corners are very sharp! My copy shows very little CA. It's really heavy and unconfortable to carry around on the camera, so I don't use it for travelling and hiking.
reviewer#8791 date: Mar-14-2011
compared to:Minolta AF 35-105/3.5-4.5
Minolta AF 50/1.7
price paid:about 100 Euros
positive:
comment:Absolute Minolta classic, every A-Mount-User should own one of these. Very big one for today's standards but it does not extend when zooming. Gives very sharp pictures with good contrast and colours from 70 to 150mm. From 150mm onwards it gets a bit soft so if you mainly shoot in this range you might try the even bigger 75-300/4.5-5.6 instead. I use this as my primary tele lens on my a700 and I get the best results by slightly underexposing und then lighting up the picture afterwards on the computer. It you do not mind carrying around 700 grams only for the lens this one offers you great value for the money!
reviewer#8784 date: Mar-14-2011
positive:Quality
Sharpness
Colours
AF response
negative:Lens Flare in very bright sunlight
comment:I bought this to photograph my daughters gymnastic competition and was really pleased with the results. Excellent speed of focus, focal length, brightness and colours even with high ISO & shutter speed. This lens comes into its own when shooting outdoors though, the images are almost 3D.
I paid top dollar but the lens had never been used before and was well worth the money. IMO the Beercan is a must for any Sony Alpha owner!!

Edit.. After buying the Sigma 50-150 I've dropped the sharpness from 5 to 4.
reviewer#8749 date: Mar-6-2011
length constant throughout range
low cost
"macro"
negative:weight
comment:At least on a 12mp A700 this lens shines. I have used the Canon 70-200mm f4 L and this is nearly as good. Contrast wide open could be a little better, but overall I am very happy with this lens.
reviews found: 391    << 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>