Minolta AF 70-210mm F3.5-4.5 A-mount lens reviews

reviews found: 64    << 1 2 3
reviewer#397 date: Jan-10-2006
compared to:tamron 18-200
positive:sharpness
comment:bought it second hand, use it for portraits and birds in our garden. Give's very good results! I choose this one over the f4 version because it's smaller. I don't like heavy lenses :)
reviewer#330 date: Dec-22-2005
compared to:28-80 (I,II,D)
50mm/1.7
28mm/2.8
70-210 f4 (in-store only)
positive:- nice and compact
- relatively lightweight
- price
- bright enough
- close focus (~1m)
negative:- zoom creep
- a touch of play in barrel @210mm
- blooming
comment:First...I like this lens a lot. I've taken some of my best photos with it!

Build: I like the compact size and relative lightweight. The rubber focus ring is much better than the older style narrow plastic rings. It fits in my small camera bag very well for a lens giving an equivalent to 320mm. The only thing I don't quite like about the build is that when the zoom is extended, the barrel has a bit of play which can shift the image in the viewfinder if it is touched, or even under the torque of the AF. I'm used to 30 year old metal lenses which have incredible build quality...maybe I'm judging harshly, but the play does bother me a bit. AF does hunt a bit, and isn't super-fast, but it seems faster than the 70-210 f4 I tested out in the store. Feature wise, it has the programmable button on the barrel which isn't a bad thing...I don't use it much but it's good to know it is there. Lastly, when I say 'zoom creep' I'm referring to the fact that the zoom lens tends to extend if you're carrying the lens around (for example around your neck facing downward). This can get annoying while you're hiking in the woods, but I guess it's either this or having a longer lens (as per the f4). I can't comment on distortion as I have not tested the lens with this in mind.

*Additional notes since first review:
The lens stops down from f3.5 to f4 very quickly, f3.5 is from 70-85mm. The f4 apperture extends roughly from 85-115mm, after which it stops down to max f4.5 (from 115-210). This might be something to consider when comparing with the constant aperture 70-210 f/4.

Results: As far as photos with this lens, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. First, and As mentioned, flare must be controlled...use the bayonet lens hood! Otherwise you lose contrast, colour, saturation. Second, at 210mm, f4.5 and under high contrast, you get some blooming of the highlights. Sure, it can come off as a 'soft focus' effect, but this isn't something I generally look for in my zoom lenses. Might be okay for portraits though! If you're careful, photos are sharp (especially stopped down), bokeh is quite nice, and my results have shown that photos have a real sense of depth to them. The ability to focus down to about 1 metre is nice too, giving a 1:4 magnification, which isn't bad.

Personally, I like primes...I want to squeeze every drop of colour and resolution out of the photos I take with my 7D. This is my 'fun' lens that I use out in the woods. It's always in my bag as it gives me good reach without taking up much space, and it didn't cost the earth. It's no prime, but it's a great all-round lens. Remember...it's a bite size 320mm equivalent lens! Highly recommended!
reviewer#198 date: Nov-1-2005
compared to:KM 18-70 AF DT
Sigma 180mm 5.6 Macro
positive:Light and relatively large maximum aperture
negative:Medium flare control and very bad color fringing
comment:Not as sharp (stepped down) as the 5D kit lens.

1/3.5 70-90 mm
1/4 90-135 mm
1/4.5 135-210 mm
reviewer#189 date: Oct-29-2005
compared to:18-70/5.6 35-70/4 Tamron 24-135/3.5-5.6
positive:A great sharp lens with fine colors!
negative:Some purple fringing and flaire easily. Some AF hunting in bad light.
comment:This is a rare lens that deserves more attention. Is is said to be as sharp as the more famous older f4 lens. I bought this because it much lighter and quite a bit smaller. I am really happy with this lens and can recommend getting one if you are so lucky to find it.
reviews found: 64    << 1 2 3