Samyang 8mm F3.5 Asph IF MC Fisheye CS A-mount lens reviews

SOny 16mm Fisheye
price paid:$300
positive:Great Build
Unbelievable sharpness
Cheapest and BEST fisheye you can get
Nice color
negative:None at all
comment:Each time I use this lens I am amazed what it cost me. This lens is so sharp - it really surprised me. In fact it's one of the sharpest lenses you'll EVER use. For $300-$400AUS it's is a bargain. I think it's sold in the USA under about 2 or 3 different brands but they are all the same lens. The only concern I had before purchasing this lens was the manual focus. The first time you use it however, you'll see that you rarely have to use it as the focus is everything from 30-40cm to infinity. Just a wonderful lens!
reviewer#7577 date: Jun-17-2010
price paid:200 GBP (new)
positive:Solid build, great price, a fun lens.
negative:Images might need a small amount of sharpening
comment:Having only had a DSLR for 12 months, this was my first fully manual lens, and it seems to me to be a great lens to have in this respect because its so easy to use. The focus ring I can leave set at minimum distance and then play around with the aperture ring to get the best results.

Most of my photography is outdoors and a fisheye seems perfect for that environment.

It might be because I've only been using the lens for a few weeks but I've found some of my images need to be sharpened slighty afterwards. Other than that I am very happy with this lens. Its solid and sturdy and feels well built
reviewer#7556 date: Jun-12-2010
compared to:Peleng 8mm
positive:Very good IQ, flare control and build quality. Huge bang for the buck!
negative:Lens is not chipped, fixed lens hood.
comment:After lot of testing between Peleng and Samyang I've decided to buy this korean lens. Peleng produced too much flare and inferior image quality compared to Samyang. It takes a bit of time and practice to get good compositions with it, as with every fisheye. Almost every picture I have took during first couple of weeks had my feet in the lower part of the picture :)) Fun lens to use!
reviewer#7332 date: Apr-22-2010
compared to:the wide end of any zoom -11, 16, 18
positive:The most fun I've had with a new lens. Cheap, AF not necessary with an 8mm lens, the DOF is huge.
negative:The learning curve. The browning of the sky/background in certain conditions. Minimum focus distance.
comment:This is one fun lens! At the time of this review I've had the lens for two weeks and I feel I'm getting the hang of how to use it. The secret is to fill the viewfinder with your subject, get as close as you can. For landscape point the camera down until the horizon is near the top of the frame (see sample photo's).

It's really impossible to rate this lens with the rating platform used here. These fisheye's are unique and maybe should be rated only to another fisheye lens.

When you get it right the colors are great and the sharpness is very good. Flare is not bad at all considering how wide this lens is. It's built solid but the distance scale takes some getting used to and f/8 seems to give the sharpest results.

I'm using the ROKINON version of this lens, it's the exact same lens under a different name.

EDIT 5-24-2011- I changed distortion to 5. It/s still the lens that is the most fun to use in my collection. Can be used as normal UWA lens if care is taken during composing the shot.

I consider this a great lens for a great price and adds a lot to your photographic creativity. Go ahead and let your imagination take you somewhere new.
reviewer#7184 date: Mar-29-2010
price paid:about $250
positive:Great sharpness at f/5.6, good build quality, great fisheye effect
negative:It should focus nearer, minimal focus is from 30cm which I found too much with this extra wide angle.
no AF
comment:great lens for this price,
reviewer#7162 date: Mar-26-2010
price paid:230 euro (new)
positive:Cheap lens but it's a very good product.
negative:minimum distance of focus is 30cm so you can't make close-ups.
comment:This is a very good lens, it's built especially por aps-c sensors so you have full 180° coverage.
reviewer#7149 date: Mar-24-2010
compared to:Sony 16mm/2.8
Sigma 18-200
Sony 24-70Z/2.8
price paid:220€
positive:Absolute price, you got a lot for money, dedicated metal mount, well built
negative:Manual focus, no electronics for info in EXIF
comment:Fisheye for APS-C sized senzor. If you have light enough to close a aperture, manual focus is not a problem. On APS-C, 16mm is not a fisheye. In the other hand, on FF (A900) 16mm is fisheye, and 8mm have 180° view angle in horizontal direction, but you can see a dark border.

I didn't regret a money I payed for this lens.

Update: On new A77, it's little blurry.

reviewer#7055 date: Mar-11-2010
compared to:SAL50F18
Minolta 50mm AF f/1.7
Sigma 17-70mm DC
price paid:Euro €198.99 (new)
positive:Build quality
180° view
Dedicated metal A-mount
Foto-Tip 3 year warranty
Colour Rendition
negative:No SSS
No focus confirm
No EXIF data
comment:Hard to write a comprehensive review for this lens as it's nothing like I've ever used or owned before. I was initially after a wide-angle lens, but figured a fisheye would be 'interesting' and having seen the reviews of it, I bought the Samyang 8mm f/3.5 MC IF Aspherical from Foto-Tip who provide a 3 year warranty, though it's available in the UK under the Falcon brand.

First thing to note was it's size and weight. It's well engineered in a plastic body with metal mount and is quite compact in size, though weighty. It also feels and looks very nice and it doesn't require any adapter ring as it's made with a dedicated A-mount, so it fits right onto the camera body. Due to the bulbous shape of the front element, you cannot fit a conventional filter to it.

Secondly, there are two rings on the lens. One is aperture and the other is a distance scale marked from 0.3m (1 ft) to infinity. The latter took some getting used to as you don't actually focus on your subject, you set the minimum distance to the nearest object you want in focus and will then focus to infinity. It then really becomes a point and shoot lens.

Colour rendition is nice, and a decent level of IQ can be achieved, though it takes some experimenting with the distance scale and your distance from the subject to get a combination that works. A bit of trial and error. One other point of note is keeping yourself out of the image as this lens is W I D E.

The built-in lens hood works pretty well at keeping flare down, though I found that you need to keep the sun behind you. I experimented with on-board flash as well, but this produced a circular black ring on the image, so I suggest an external flashgun (though haven't tried it myself as yet). Stopping-down to around F/8-F/11 gives the best results as F/3.5 is very soft. Also, there is no F/4 setting. The aperture ring goes from F/3.5 to F/5.6 etc to F/22. Sharpness and clarity is excellent @ F/5.6-F/11 if you can dial the lens in.

This is an affordable fisheye and is great fun to use, though I have nothing to compare it with. Recommended if you're looking for a lens of this type and is reported to be superior to the Peleng 8mm.
reviews found: 38    << 1 2