Minolta AF 80-200mm F2.8 APO A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#2864 date: Oct-22-2007
compared to:85 1.4
100-300 APO D
beercan
price paid:835€ +tc (as new)
positive:Very sharp
Color
Black
Look and build quality
negative:Noisy focusing
1.8m cl. foc. distance
comment:Overwhelming IQ.
reviewer#2820 date: Oct-4-2007
compared to:- 85/1.4
- 100-300 APO
- 100-200/4.5
price paid:$905 USD (used)
positive:- Sharpness wide open
- Overall Sharpness
- Bokeh
- Internal zoom
- Above average focusing speed
- Can be used on full frame
negative:- Loud focusing
comment:I take a lot of action shots at local tennis tournaments. As we enter the fall season, more and more matches extend into the evening and are played under the lights. I bought this lens based on the reviews here on dyxum.com to possibly replace my 100-300 APO. I was able to shoot with the 80-200/2.8 in poor lighting, wide open at ISO-200, and was able to obtain shutter speeds close to 500 (enough to stop the action)...not possible with my 100-300 APO. Wide open, pics were extremely sharp up to 170mm, and very sharp from 170mm-200mm. Stopped down to F4, pics were extremely sharp through the entire range. Stopped down to F5.6+, uber sharp! As others have mentioned, the zoom is quit noisy when auto focusing. As expected, the lens is well built and heavy. Focusing speed was faster than my 85/1.4, 100-200/4.5 and 100-300 APO; fast enough for any shot I've attempted so far at various tennis tournaments. Unless you need the SSM version of this lens, you can't go wrong. I highly recommend this lens for sports photography, especially when faced with difficult lighting situations.
reviewer#2804 date: Sep-30-2007
compared to:- beercan
- sigma 70-300 APO DG
- minolta 100mm macro
price paid:600 E
positive:- built like a tank
- great colors and contrast
- great bokeh
- good sharpness
- black
negative:- noisy focus
- 1.8 m min focus distance
comment:A great classic, excellent value compared to the HS version, same optics as the HS version. Colors, contrast, sharpness and bokeh are stunning, great for portraiture. From 80 to 150mm can be used wide open without second thoughts, after that stopping down to f4 improves things a bit.
Focus is fast but noisy. The 1.8 m min focusing distance is a pain sometimes, especially in confined areas. Its color makes it less noticeable and impressive, which is a good point.
reviewer#2445 date: Jun-14-2007
compared to:70-210/4
price paid:€470 eBay
positive:Nice to touch, feel, hold and own.
negative:Non removable tripod mount
Rotating front element.
comment:Haven't really used it and compared it enough to have a qualified oppinion about IQ and such. Autofocus is faster that the really slow "beercan" which doesn't say much. It is big and heavy. I like the gold-stripe, no I love it. When the autofocus reaches the far and near end it sounds a bit too "hard". I love just walking around with it drawing attention to me and my big lens. That is why I bought it and because I like to have the most expensive gear among my camera friends. I like to be able to say that I own a 80-200/2,8.
reviewer#1952 date: Mar-11-2007
compared to:Beercan, 200/2.8HS
positive:Sharp wide open, Bokeh, colors
Build and it´s black!
negative:Weight?
No focus limiter
Close focus 1.8m
comment:This lens is everything the Beercan is not.
Faster AF, sharp wide open and stoped down to f/4 -WOW!
Bokeh is creamy and colors are great.
I don´t find the weight that much of a problem.
Focus is not super fast, slower then 200HS, faster then 85/1.4.
Front glass is rotating when focus, not a problem for me not planning to use a PL C on it.
Tripod collar not removeble, I think the collar makes the lens balance nicly in my hand making zoom-action easier, If it´s a problem just rotate the mount up on top !
Focus limiter would be nice.
Black is good when going to town, people is more intimidated by a white lens.
Close focus is 1.8m, that I find a little limiting.
reviewer#1724 date: Jan-31-2007
price paid:500 € used
positive:It's not white but gives you the same optical quality! Beautiful bookeh and not that slow in my opinion. Of course not compared to a SSM.
negative:Heavy
comment:For the price I paid I've got a lot of quality! And the AF speeds increases significantly with the alpha 700
reviewer#1290 date: Oct-8-2006
compared to:Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX APO
positive:Well build
Sharp even at f2.8 for the whole range
Nice Color and bokeh
negative:Non Removable Tripod collar
Rotating front lenes element
Loud focusing
comment:One of the better zoom from the classic Minolta zoom. Well built and heavy (expected). The sharpness is stunning and is consistent through out the range. Color and bokeh is very good.

Focus speed is not fast but not that slow either. On the A-100 had used in fast sport event to continuously track subject using the side sensor. For fast sport usage, it's not 100%, but 90% you will get the shot sharp with AF-C.

The non removable collar is something to get used to if you need to hand held. It's still possible.

Price is one big negative. For a used price of the Minolta 80-200 you can get a new Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG APO with warranty. This lens is old, and when it break down, no idea if it can be fixed.
reviewer#1027 date: Jul-16-2006
compared to:100-300 APO
price paid:$700 (new)
positive:The perfect mid-tele zoom, Very sharp.
negative:Lot of chromatic aberration, even with the APO glass
comment:This is a great lens, and I can't believe I found it brand new just last month in a little shop in San Fransisco! I got a great deal as well.

Compared to the 100-300, I love being able to use the larger apertures. At 200-300mm with the 100-300 APO, I could never isolate my subject with that shallower depth of field. Now I can. Even with a 1.4x Kenko Pro 300, this combination takes great pictures. It also focuses a heck of a lot quicker than my 100-300, which is a definate plus, especially in sports photography. It's not as cool looking as the white versions, but it does the job just the same.

Will I part with it? Probably not, unless a 70-200 SSM becomes available, but it won't likely be in better condition than this jem.

Only negative is the CA in high contrast areas. Luckily, after several pics, I have a saved profile for removing the CA in my Paintshop Pro X.
reviewer#1008 date: Jul-10-2006
compared to:-70-210/4 "beercan"
-75-300/4.5 -5.6 D
price paid:740 USD(used)
positive:- Very Sharp
-Nice Colors and Bokeh
-Hardly any flare at all
negative:-Very Heavy
-Non-removable Tripod Collar
-No focus limiter
Can't use with Minolta TC
comment:I haven't really been able to compare this lens to much, and have only owned it for less than a month, but it is now my favorite zoom lens. I got to test it on both Digital and Film.
This lens may be Old ( made in 1983, I think) but Sharp even at f2.8. Great Colors produced and the Bokeh is great too. I have shot it directly into a sunset, and got one shot with flare from the sun out of the six I took. I think the AF speed on this is great (never used a USM, HSM or SSM lens yet, so take it for what it's worth), Great at tracking moving subjects too on continouos AF (my shetland Sheepdog was the subject)
Wish the tripod collar was removable, but I've also learned to use it like a platform to rest in my palm so it's not really too much of a bother. I also wish that I could use a Minolta TC with it.
Hope this helps someone who may come across this lens and was wondering if it's worth getting. In my opinion a very, very, very good lens to have.
reviewer#777 date: May-11-2006
compared to:70-210 f4
sigma 70-300 apo makro II
positive:very sharp
super creamy bokeh
built quality
never ever had flare problems
negative:heavy (as all good 2.8 teles)
mediocre focus speed
comment:The best zoom i ever had. bought it very cheap thirdhand.
focusing speed is ok, images are very sharp. contrast is good and the bokeh is perfect.
never had flare with it. not even without the excellent hood. even when pointing the lens directly towards a strong lightsource.
reviewer#719 date: Apr-26-2006
compared to:Tamron 80-200 F2.8, Minolta 70-200 F4, Canon 80-200 F2.8L
positive:Very sharp, good focus speed, very well balanced on a monopod or tripod or even hand held.
negative:The lens is heavy and the focusing has lots of torque, meaning it's moving lots of glass and you can feel it as it focuses. I guess this is normal for this class of lens.
comment:I've had this lens for 8 years, and I've shot pro football with it, and the focus is good. It's not awesome, because co-photographers all had Canon's and Nikon's, and I must admit, those lenses focus faster. Supposedly, the newer white version of this lens and the D version is to have faster focusing. But for me, I rarely missed a shot. When it focuses, it has lots of torque, enough for you to have to keep it steady when shooting on a monopod (football) or handheld. On a tripod, it's not an issue. Because of the weight of the lens, always use the tripod collar, never mount the camera, or you'll break the lens off the camera mount (I did this once with another lens on my Maxxum 7!! Ouch!!) But it's very sharp (again, not the sharpest on the block, but good enough for a pro level lens) and if you need the speed, it's worth the price. The Sigma and Tokina lenses are sharper, but the build quality does not stand up. I'd take build quality and ruggedness over a slightly sharper lens. I've dropped this lens on turf, as well as my 300mm F2.8, and had no problems after. Do that with a Sigma, Tamron, or whatever after market, and you're asking for trouble (trust me, I've seen it happen). That's the big difference between OEM pro lenses and after market. It's in the build quality....
reviewer#412 date: Jan-16-2006
compared to:Sigma 70-200/2.8EX APO HSM on Canon 300D
positive:Very Sharp
Good Bokeh
Userful zoom range
negative:Heavy
Loud focusing gears
No petal hood
Rotate front element when focusing
Tripod mount can't remove
comment:This is my first G lens class lens, the zoom range is very useful, it is very sharp even in wideopen (@f/2.8 sharpness in center is good, edge is ok). From what I read and study, the optic of the Minolta 80-200/2.8, not matter of black or HS G, both have better optic than Minolta's 70-200SSM and Canon's 70-200/2.8IS L.

By comparing with the Sigma on Canon body, (which is kind of not fair since, my 80-200 have no HS gear or SSM) the focus speed is good, but can't say fast. I think the lens element is too heavy, whenever, it start or stop, it give you quit abit rotational force. And due to the age, which is quit loud while focusing. Other things you will notice is the build, which is a full metal body with rubber zoom ring, which is kind of out date and in my opinion, will kind of easily affected by weather.

The output image is excellent, the bokeh is way much better than the Sigma. The color is much more nature.

** You will saw me mention the word BOKEH alot of times, which is one of the strength for Minolta lens, and which also is the parts most of the other people not notice.

reviews found: 42    << 1 2