Minolta AF 80-200mm F2.8 HS APO G A-mount lens reviews

reviews found: 98    << 1 2 3 4 >>
reviewer#10698 date: Nov-14-2012
compared to:Tamron AT-X 828 Pro SD (KA mount)
price paid:1250 AUD (2010 ex+)
positive:Sharp wide open at all focal lengths, colour rendition, build
negative:slight diffraction noticeable from F11 to F32 (see comments)
comment:For portraiture I have found this lens excels when used at F2.8-F6.7 with subject distances up to about 12m. Skin tones and textures are rendered naturally on both film and sensor and readily compare to those shot on medium format.

Diffraction starts around F11 (my copy) which lowered the rating for sharpness. From F2.8 to F11 it is sharp at all focal lengths.

Shooting with the lens hood attached, flare is rarely an issue. It's handled well when it is encountered.

This lens delivers such beautifully smooth tones and detail I doubt I will ever part with it.
reviewer#10622 date: Oct-26-2012
compared to:Sigma 70-200 HSM ii
Tamron 70-200
Tamron 90
Minolta 70-210 f4
price paid:750 € mint
positive:Compact for a (70)80-200.
Sharp, sharpness unseen yet.
Minolta at its best.
negative:Autofocus is a bit aggressive, like in all Minolta metal lenses.
comment:This is my fourth tele zoom. And until I will be able to get the Sony G this is the lens I will work with.

It's seriously sharper than the Tamron Macro 90 2.8.

It's sharp at 2.8 and 200 mm. Something I didn't see so far.

Of course serious corner sharpness is not given til f5.6, and vignetting is quite prominent at f 2.8, it fades with 3.2 already and with each stop the lens opens up with total sharpness.

The mechanical aggressive focusing is something I have to get used to again (beercan like), after working with the wonderful HSM motor, but which died after using it for 3 months and I am not going back to HSM.
reviewer#10595 date: Oct-15-2012
-Fast Focus
-Beautiful Minolta Colors/Contrast
-Shorter/Lighter than 70-200
negative:1.8m Min focus distance
comment:I was very conflicted when I started looking around for a constant 2.8 in a telezoom.

For the same price or less used I could have gotten a Sigma 70-200 HSM or for even less the equally sharp Tamron 70-200.

Sigma being the better build quality and with HSM, and Tamron being high IQ but cheaper build.

Until I stumbled upon the Minolta 80-200 on ebay from Japan. I don't regret making the purchase after spending a week with the lens, and it's by far the most expensive lens I've ever bought myself new or used.

I did motion tracking at f2.8 of a car on a freeway 100m away, from my 10th floor living room window at 1/8th shutter speed. Posted pics on DPreview and it's incredible how fast the lens locked onto the car, and maintained tracking while I panned to follow the movement.

I attempted the same thing with my Tokina 70-210 and it's not even worth mentioning how bad the performance was.

This lens is worth every penny. It's solid steel but what I like about it, is it's very light and shorter than the 70-200. Making it a lot easier to handle.
reviewer#10538 date: Sep-23-2012
compared to:Minolta 200mm f2.8 APO G HS
price paid:1200 usd (mint)
positive:- perhaps lightest and shortest of all in this range.
- Lightning speed AF torque, and spot on accuracy
- One of the sharpest and most beautiful color rendition
negative:- doesn't accept Sony 1.4x and 2.0x APO tele-converters
- white paint is easily scratched.
- long MFD, not great for pseudo macro.
- loud AF, can be very disturbing when shooting in a quiet/silent event.
comment:I'm extremely impressed with my copy of Minolta 200mm f2.8. However being a fixed focal, I felt the need for more flexibility in some shooting situations so I sought the Minolta 80-200 f2.8 APO G HS, knowing well what I have to sacrifice in terms of IQ.

The reason I chose this over the newer Sony 70-200 is purely because of its more friendly cost and compact size/weight.

The Minolta 80-200 doesn't disappoint in terms of image quality, AF speed, accuracy, and color rendition. It's very much on par with the excellent Minolta 200mm f2.8 APO G. The colors are superbly rich, vivid and contrasty. AF speed is extremely fast and dependable. Among the telephoto zoom lens i have in this range, I can say that the AF of 80-200 is the most spot-on. I barely have blurry images. And it makes me feel confident knowing I will not miss a moment and end up with out of focus subject. My copy requires approx +2 micro adjustment.

I haven't done any test regarding border sharpness but from many reviews I have seen so far, they all agree that border sharpness is reduced which is understandable, considering the compromise of the zoom.

I love this lens a lot and can't recommend highly enough, considering the price of a mint copy is considerably cheaper than a new Sony 70-200 f2.8. Although the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is tempting, the old version is criticized for focusing speed and the new version while very nice is way too heavy for me.

My only grips with 80-200 is the fact that it doesn't accept both Sony 1.4x and 2.0x APO tele-converters, while the 200mm f2.8 does. The MFD is rather long and hence more suitable to people portraits and not so great for pseudo macro shots. And AF drive can be very loud when you shoot in an event that demands silence. I must switch to MF instead.

When weight isn't an issue and I need extra flexibility, I will go with 80-200. When I want to travel light, and I know I will shoot mostly at the telephoto end, I will take 200 f2.8 together with teleconverters which turns the lens into 300 and 400mm super telephoto.

See my photos with Minolta 80-200mm f2.8 APO G HS and Minolta 200mm f2.8 APO G HS on my Flickr collection at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lifeispixels/collections/72157628204412995/
reviewer#10300 date: Jun-13-2012
price paid:800e (used A+)
positive:build/weight vs size, sharpness, color, focus speed, very comfortable in hand
negative:AF has heavy torque which will cause shaking if not mounted.
Unable to use with minolta TC
comment:Very fast, precise AF, colors and sharpness, good choice as a cheaper alternative to 70-200G
reviewer#9696 date: Dec-18-2011
compared to:Beercan 70-210 f4, minolta 70-210 f3,5-4,5. Sigma 70-300 f4-5,6 APO DG.
price paid:1,300.00 USD (used)
positive:Lighter than Minolta, Sony 70-200 f2.8
negative:Nothing (my opinion)
comment:This is my favorite lens so far. It is very good wide open. It is not as heavy as 70-200 f2.8.
reviewer#9461 date: Oct-1-2011
positive:Beautiful Minolta colors
Very fast focussing
Images that "pop"
negative:Won't take Minolta tele-converters
comment:This is a big, heavy lens that, because it balances well, just resides on my A900. I am very surprised how much more user friendly it is than the 70300G, which is lighter and slightly thinner, but not as comfortable. I haven't found the weight a problem at all in the ten days I've owned and constantly used it -- and I've recently become annoyed at big lenses. This is a delightful exception.

The cage at the back stops the usual opening of the diaphragm when a lens cap is put on, which is unexpected. I tend always to inspect my lenses this way, but it's not a big deal.

The lens stays at one length when zooming, but the focus mechanism moves the front of the lens forward. However, when the metal (Yes) lens hood is attached, the focus extension is entirely confined within the hood, so that the lens is apparently fixed in length. This pleases me no end, because I detest the huge 70300G lens hood, and the monstrous length that it extends. The 70300G's like a missile launcher.

I'd prefer a clip-on lens hood over the the bayonet fitting, because it's a little difficult to mount the bayonet backwards when done. It's a round hood, so this could've been done.

At present, I prefer this lens to the Min 200G, but this probably is just novelty. Still, the combination of wonderfully saturated color, shallow depth of field and impeccable focus on the 80200G produces images that constantly astonish me. It's a design quality that I cannot describe, but is quite clearly there.

I'd've liked a screw range limiter like the 200G (which I prefer to the switches on the 70300G.) The lens hunts a little, but that is mainly a learning curve for me. The focus is indeed as torquish as reported, and quite fun.

The rotating but irremovable tripod mount has two different, standard, screw holes (a very thoughtful point) and does indeed fit into the hand conveniently.

It takes Tamron 1.4x and 2x tele-converters. There is no discernable image quality loss with the 1.4x, but there is loss with the 2x, although that may be the consequence of hand-holding the lens.

The 85G has a different image quality, almost ethereal, while the 80-200G floods the background with light, but remains vivid. They are complementary lenses,and one can easily possess both without conflict: I am not so sure about the 200G, which may be superseded by the zoom. Time will tell.

The Zeiss is a wholly different lens, with sharp, discrete images and paler colors. I am even more sold on Minolta colors with this "new" 80200G HS.

My copy has the white paint scraped through in places, and was probably hard used at some time. But you'd never know from the speed of focus or the images. It came from Adorama at a great price as the result of an eagle-eyed Dyxumite's posting. Thank you, cafe.

Again, I say how well-balanced it is that it does not feel anywhere near as heavy and large as the statistics show.
reviewer#9180 date: Jun-26-2011
compared to:70-210 f/4 (Beer Can)
price paid:1200.00
Fast Focus
Great Colors
Well Built
negative:None for Me
comment:This this lens is just awesome. Even when I was shooting film with my 8000i
I thought my beer can was all I would ever need. Switching to digital I was really happy, but I got a chance to get a good used copy (looks almost brand new)
of the 80-200 Hs APO and the difference between the beer can is just incredible.
If I had not shot the pictures I may not have believed the difference, as some others have stated here it elevates your pictures to a new level. Yes it is heavy
and it is worth every bit the extra weight you carry around. If you have been shooting pic since the 70's as I have it does not seem all that heavy, and some have said there seems to be alot of noise with focus, it does not seem loud to me. With the price going up all the time on new as well as used equipment if you find a good clean copy and need the range of this lens get it.
reviewer#9178 date: Jun-26-2011
compared to:- Minolta 70-210 3,5-4,5
price paid:900€
positive:- Fast
- usefull on Apsc or FF
- Sharp, and at F4 it's amazing
- White :)
negative:Can't see, heavy, but who cares ?
comment:One of my favorite. Excellent on Apsc but even more better on FF camera. I use it for portrait and nature shots. Love the speed on FF, the range on Apsc.

Always a great pleasure to have it in front of any Sony camera.
reviewer#9020 date: May-13-2011
compared to:MI 100-300 apo.
Tamron SP 70-200 / 2.8
price paid:950 euro (used)
positive:- sharpness.
- build.
- autofocus.
- Tamron SP 1.4 TeleConv +++
- it is white.
negative:- it is white
comment:HOLY SMOKE!
That says it all. What an incredible lens.
I bought it secondhand to replace my Tamron 70-200 and what a good choice that was.
Autofocus is VERY fast. There is virtually no hunting.
Image quality is still very good with Tamron SP Teleconv 1.4. Autofocus remains pretty fast without hunting.
All in all: an exceptional zoomlens well worth the price.
EDIT:
I knew about the MFD and the rotating front element.
Both pose no problem. A good smooth polarizer will deal with the rotation. MFD is a matter of picking the right place for your shot.
As it is with primes.
EDIT:
It seems that micro adjust is a bit different for "< 3mtr focus" and for "> 5 m focus"? Funny! It is a minor issue.
reviewer#8816 date: Mar-22-2011
compared to:* Beercan
* Sony 55-200mm f/4-5.6
* Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 SSM G
* Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6 SSM G
* Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8
positive:* Sharp wide open.
* Minolta colors.
* Focuses very quickly.
* Great build.
* Slightly shorter than modern 70-200mm zooms.
negative:* Can't remove the tripod mount.
* Front element rotates while focusing.
* Somewhat long MFD.
comment:There are times when a narrow-aperture telezoom just won't cut it. I used the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 for awhile, and for the most part, it was a solid performer. Image quality was great, with good color and sharpness. And honestly, the focus speed wasn't bad either. The problem was when it lost focus - it would take what seemed like forever to rack back and forth, and it caused me to to miss shots from time to time. The Minolta 80-200mm f/2.8 HS G fixes that. It's not that it never loses focus - it does, all lenses do. But, it's geared for such quick focusing that when it does happen, you snap back to focus almost immediately.

Color and sharpness are great, as is the build. It actually takes up slightly less room in my bag than the Tamron did, and certainly less than the Sony 70-400. Though the minimum focus distance is long, this isn't the type of lens I typically use for close-ups, and I have a dedicated macro lens - so it's no biggie to me. I wish I could detatch the tripod foot, but again, it's not the end of the world.

If you're willing to buy a Tamron or Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8, give this lens some thought. For only a few hundred more, you're getting the best of both worlds - the great color and image quality of the Tamron with the fast focus of the Sigma. It's a fantastic combo.
reviewer#8706 date: Feb-26-2011
compared to:None
price paid:1000 USD (used nice)
positive:Colours
Smooth Bokeh
A Filmic Feel on DSLR
Build Quality
negative:AF noise
Rotating Front Element
comment:All,

There is something magical about this lens. I read somewhere this lens can create allusive three dimensional effect. It is not up to me judge if it does or not, but nowadays everything is about possibilities.

At some point I was seriously contemplating to sell it because of AF issues and noise. But after upgrading my A900 to firmware 2, I dropped the idea as the focus speed has improved dramatically.

Where I used it most is for indoor low light situations. I am always amazed about the brightness and richness of the pictures even under mixed light conditions. With anti-shake on it is possible to get HQ pics at 1/30 even 1/15 of a second at 320ISO. It is also remarkable lens for candid street shot.

Additionally I found it handles contrast well, even on a bright sunny day I have plenty of highlights to work with.

Highly recommended, unless one really needs the Sony 70-200 SSM features (which I briefly tested in Hong Kong) this lens with deliver fine pictures and with an extra skill and sensitivity it will turn into a looking glass pointing at the world burdened by the madness of contemporary civilization.
reviewer#8705 date: Feb-26-2011
compared to:Sony 70400 SSM
Sony CZ 135mm
positive:+sharp
+look & feel
+fast AF
+lovely bokeh
negative:-noisy AF
comment:I'm impressed. If one can fall in love with a lens at first sight, this is the lens. The look & feel is G all over. I fits better in my hand than the 70400 SSM. AF is fast and accurate but compared to SSM a bit noisy. Colors are warmer than with the CZ 135mm and show more contrast. Sharpness seems to be on par with the 70400 SSM (which is excellent). Its amazing that this lens has been introduced in 1993 and still kicks.
reviewer#8578 date: Jan-27-2011
AF speed
Colour rendition
AF lock button
Easy to hand hold
negative:The AF motor sounds a bit 'industrial'.
Tripod mount very close to lens body.
Not much to moan about really is there?
comment:(UPDATED): This lens is tack sharp with great colour rendition, buttery smooth bokeh, quick AF, excellent build quality and a fabulous bit of kit.

This was one of the finest lenses I've owned and used (maybe second only to the Minolta AF 300mm F/2.8 APO), and really can't add to comments already posted. It was a semi-permanent fixture to my A700 and later on the A850. A brilliant optic and arguably the best in it's focal range.

EDIT: I've since sold the Minolta AF 80-200mm F/2.8 APO HS G lens. Included in the delivered bundled price was a very nice Minolta Dynax 7D DSLR and a decent copy of the Minolta AF 24-105mm (D) lens. Bargain or what? I made a fortune on the re-sale!
reviewer#8084 date: Oct-12-2010
Sharp throughout range
Great minolta colours
Great portrait zoom
negative:MFD
comment:Thanks to Puddleduck ( Andy ) i now own this lens.
Sharpness - It really is sharp even wide open and stays great throughout its range and at all focal lengths
Build quality - its built like a tank and just oozes quality
Handling - I found the torque a little unnerving at first but now i love it. Really fast focusing....almost never hunts.
This lens is a classic. If you can get it at a good price ( as i think i did ) buy it you will not be dissapointed.
I LOVE this lens!!!
reviewer#7628 date: Jun-27-2010
compared to:70-400 SSM
100-300 3.5-5.6 APO
price paid:600 EUR (USED)
positive:Sharp, Fast, Everything
negative:Can't use minolta tc's.
comment:Just love this lens. Only problem with my copy is i dropped it on a concrete floor. Optics are still ok but the fall did not do it any good. Don't think i will be able to sell it.

In the end sold it for 100 euros.... it still hurts.
reviewer#7207 date: Mar-31-2010
colour
build quality
bokeh
negative:nothing
comment:This lens is well worth its high status, I've not found a problem at any focal length. I have also used it in testing conditions and it produces the goods every time. Images come to life with the contrast and colours this lens produces. Genuinely sharp at 2.8 rather than simply usable.

Will never be convinced that selling this is an option, unless Sony releases a 50-250 G f1.8 for under Ł1000...!
reviewer#7080 date: Mar-13-2010
compared to:Sigma 70-200/2.8 EX
Minolta 200/2.8 APO
price paid:790 EUR (used)
positive:Fast focusing, optically good
negative:Heavy, rotating heavy front element
comment:A very good fast tele zoom. Focusing is fast and accurate but due to heavy front element the inertia makes the feeling not so nice. Some CA at longer focal lenghts.
reviewer#6867 date: Feb-4-2010
compared to:200/2.8 HS APO. Slightly heavier, slower than 200/2.8 in focusing but similar quality.
positive:Sharp + Fast focus + Colors + Metal hood + sturdy build
negative:MFD. Front element rotates. Lens changes length. Non removable tripod collar
comment:I bought this lens yesterday from eBay in slightly beat up condition, but optics are great, and focusing ring as well as zoom ring is smooth and lens takes amazingly sharp pics.

Torque is not uncomfortable, as some reviews may have suggested.

UPDATE:
I've been using this lens for a while now and it is going strong. My only problem is the large MFD. Colors and sharpness are great. I am having doubts whether the so called 'upgrade' to 70-200 SSM is worth it because the screw mount HS has lasted for so long.
reviewer#6652 date: Dec-30-2009
compared to:Minolta 100 F/2.8 Macro RS
Sony 70-200 F/2.8 SSM
Sigma 70-200 F/2.8
Tamron 70-200 F/2.8
positive:Very Sharp F/2.8!!!
Focuses Very Fast!!!
Tank Build
Color from Classic Minolta Lens!
HS works on Film Minolta Cameras!
negative:AF not quite as Sony 70-200 F/2.8 SSM
Diamameter of 72 instead of 77 like the G lenses Minolta/Sony
comment:Well, I just had for triyng this wonderful sample of this great piece of lens and I was curious about it.

I wanted to buy a luminous (F/2.8) zoom tele and I tested various lenses (Sigma, Tamron,Sony)

The one I've not tested is the Minolta 70-200 F/2.8 SSM lens but I suppose it's very close to the Sony version.

Well, since I tryed this wonderful piece of lens I loved it: AF is the fastest,absolutely sharp at F/2.8, and very well builded.

About the weight? If you want "quality" you have to carry it!

Ciao,
positive:Sharp,
well built
fast (aperture and AF
negative:1.8 m MFD
Rotating front element when focussing
Heavy
comment:If you can stand the price and the weight it's a very good telezoom that wide open is almost as sharp as the 200/2.8HS, stopped down the difference is almost gone. It gives a very nice color rendering and without any PP the pictures already pop off the screen or paper. It's definitely sharper and resolves than the beercan and big beercan, that are also very good lenses. The biggest drawback is 1.8 meter MFD.

Distortion seems low but if you "correct" it with PTLens you still can see a noticable improvement.

Sony/Minolta APO converters don't fit, but I get very good results with the kenko pro300 1.4x converter. Only since that one is unchipped the exif gives the wrong f/l and aperture and the SSS will not be be fully effective.
reviewer#6258 date: Oct-22-2009
compared to:min 70-210 f/4, sony 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G, min 50 f/2.8 macro
price paid:US$1000
positive:fast, sharp, the best zoom lens I have come across in my short life as a hobby photographer
negative:nothing really
comment:fantastic..........it makes my photography skills half decent.
reviewer#5867 date: Aug-17-2009
compared to:Minolta 100-400mm f/4.5-6.7 APO; Minolta APO 200mm f/2.8.
price paid:1,334 USD used/mint
positive:Brilliant optics and functionality, solid build, very fast focus, great image quality.
negative:Tripod mount collar not removable, tripod mount can't be accessed if vertical control grip fitted (A700). Won't take the Minolta APO teleconverters.
comment:This is a pro-quality lens that yields seriously good image quality and does exactly what it is designed to do. Although considerably heavier than the APO 200mm f/2.8 the zoom range makes it very versatile for all kinds of low light shooting where you need to frame the image using the zoom and can't move closer or further from your subject. The image quality and focus speed are the equal of the fixed focus 200mm f/2.8 APO. Sharper and faster by a considerable margin than the 100-400mm APO. Highly recommended to all Alpha mount users.
The high speed screw mount autofocus operates with quite a kick of torque.
Tripod mount collar cannot be removed for hand held work.
Both these last two points have been overcome in the more modern Minolta or Sony 70-200mm f2.8 SSM lens that followed this one.
reviewer#5669 date: Jul-7-2009
Great Styling & Color
negative:Rotating Front Element
A Heavier Lens
No Minolta TC Compatibility
comment:I've had this lens for a few years now and despite its heavier weight, it is a mainstay in my bag. Occasionally it is replaced by the 200 APO if weight is a critical issue.

It is a sharp lens with fantastic IQ and I simply recommend that you get one if it is within your budget. I haven't used the SSM tele, (I'm sure it's sweet!) but I really have no desire to upgrade from here.

The AF is fast and torquey - you can feel it twist as it focuses.

Some members are quite vocal about their dislike of the Minolta white colors on these APO lenses, but frankly, I love the look. The design of this lens is awesome and I'm over being noticed with a white lens and the attention it can get.

Everything else has been already said, so that's it on this one. It really is a great lens.

reviewer#5664 date: Jul-7-2009
compared to:Minolta 85 f1.4 G D
CZ 24-70 f2.8 SSM
KM 28-75 f2.8 D
Tamron SPAF 70-200 f2.8 Di LD (IF) macro
Tamron SPAF 17-35 f2.8-4 Di LD (IF)
Minolta 35-70 f3.5-4.5
Sony 18-70 DT kit
Minolta 28-70 f2.8 G
price paid:$1500 AUD used mint
positive:sharpness (amazing for a zoom)
colour
image quality
focus speed
many applications
they don't make them like this anymore
flare control is excellent for a zoom
negative:weight
no genuine teleconverters
minimum focussing distance
comment:Again one of the "classic" minolta lenses which deserves its reputation. Works brilliantly on both the a900 and a700 - great image quality on the a900! Quality of image and colour a match for the "newer" KM and Sony 70-200 versions and with the extra something special (ethereal quality in certain light). Obviously it is very heavy and the minimum focussing distance can be a bit of a pain but they are minor issues really. Sharper than the 28-70 f2.8 G from the same vintage. An amazing lens. Keeps pace with all of the newer offerings
reviewer#5628 date: Jul-2-2009
compared to:SIGMA AF180mm
Sigma AF 105mm
price paid:1200€ Germany
positive:sharpness
boked
construction
negative:noise of AF
effect of the tork in the hand
Mini distance too long
comment:The first G I get.A superb lens ,old today for the noise and perhaps the quality but I like it .Egal to the sharpness of a Sigma 105 and 180mm but speeder.
Always I am surprised by the efficiency of this lens.
Colors are very pure.
reviewer#5507 date: Jun-7-2009
Minolta 75-300D
Nice colors
Fast AF
Good CA correction
negative:Takes a lot of space
AF is loud
comment:Image quality is very good - i like the colors of the lens just from the camera. It has good contrast and saturation.
It's a heavy lens but i still often take it with me.
reviewer#5482 date: May-31-2009
compared to:Minolta 200 f2,8 G HS
Minolta 75-300 (4,5-5,6)
price paid:1218 € (new)
positive:fast AF
Hood
sharpness
full metal and very robust
negative:weight
front rotating element
focus ring with clearance
comment:compared to the 75-300 , this zoom can be used at full aperture ( f2,8 ) without problem .

Compared to 200 f2,8 , this lens does not accept teleconverter and the weight is too high for handyshoot .

I continue to use this zoom for portrait and sport like tennis but I prefer the prime 200 f2,8 for wild life with the possibility to increase focal with TC .
reviewer#5388 date: May-14-2009
Sigma 70-210 f4-5.6
SAL 75300
SAL 70-300G
positive:-Vivid Minolta Colors
-Sharp all around
-Fast Focusing
negative:-Weight (especially for long shoots)
comment:I got a minty/brand new copy. Not one spec of dust! I love this lens and baby it way too much. The colors are so vivid and bright. The sharpness is excellent wide open. Focusing Locks on fast. There's not much said here that hasn't been said. I only dread wearing this around my neck with my setup. It's just so darn heavy.

I need to use this lens more to give a thorough review, but from the events I've shot, this lens is a keeper. I wouldn't ever sell it. Get one if you can. :)

UPDATE July, 7 2009: Having shot some more events, this lens is an absolute must have for me. The two biggest strengths with this lens for me is its focusing speed, and its sharpness at f2.8.
My primary complain about this lens is that it kills my arm for wedding shoots.
reviewer#5081 date: Mar-23-2009
compared to:70-210/4 Beercan
positive:Speed
Sharpness
negative:Weight (As expected)
Non removable tripod collar
comment:I have one of the first versions of the High Speed 80-200. Mine has the focus lock but not the "High Speed" lettering. The high resolution of the a900 really shows any flaws in the optics of a lens but with the 80-200 G there just aren't any. It would be nice if it were a little lighter but that would cheapen the build. The weight is worthy of the quality. I'd like to have the SSM so I could use the high end TC's but with the price difference, I'm sure I wouldn't get my money's worth and the motor in the SSM runs down the battery much faster. The digital flash integration of the SSM doesn't mean much to me because I don't use this lens for flash photography anyway. As everyone scrambles to buy SSM's more and more of these are becoming available at reasonable prices. Anyone considering the 70-200 SSM should really give this lens a look before dropping all that coin.
reviews found: 98    << 1 2 3 4 >>