Minolta AF 80-200mm F2.8 HS APO G A-mount lens reviews

AF at least at 5m
comment:
reviewer#574 date: Mar-13-2006
compared to:70-200G 2.8 SSM
positive:Fast focus. sharp image. Great deep color reproduction.
negative:a little soft at 2.8 compared to 70-200 SSM. Paint comes off easily.
comment:
This is a great lens. I really enjoyed it myself until I got my 70-200 SSM.
reviewer#532 date: Feb-24-2006
Excellent build
MF ring has good feel
negative:Cannot remove tripod collar
Rotating front element
Focus hold button inconvenient for portrait orientation
comment:I can't fault the optical performance of this lens in any way. Color, sharpness, bokeh, contrast, all are excellent. Wide-open performance is quite good, so I can get decent results in the lower light of indoor events.

Prior to this lens, I was used to the slower AF of the older Maxxum mount lenses. I used to think that the 50/1.4 was fast. I don't know how this lens compares to the SSM version, but it focuses quickly compared to other lenses I have.

I would rather have the tripod collar removeable. Even so, I have come to like having the flat platform settled in the palm of my hand when using this lens. Oddly enough, it gives the impression of stability.

I use the focus hold button regularly when taking sports/action shots, but only with landscape orientation. The button points straight down when taking portait orientation shots, and I end up using the AF/MF toggle on the body or the vertical grip. I would prefer to use the button on the lens all the time, particularly since the positioning of the AF/MF button feels different between the 7D body and the vertical grip.

This is certainly not a small lens, but it fits (barely) in a Lowepro Photorunner and a Lowepro Orion (two waistbelt-style bags). Even though it's heavier than the 70-210/4, I find that the size and weight difference between the two is not a factor for me. I carry the 80-200 G in my bag most of the time and seldom use the 70-210/4.

I hghly recommend this lens.

12/19/06 update: I changed the build rating to 4 from 5. Reason: negatives cited above are all aspects of the build rating, so it doesn't make sense to make build=5 if there are weaknesses in the build.
reviewer#322 date: Dec-21-2005
compared to:Minolta 100-300 Apo.
Minolta 70-210/4.
positive:Fantastic lens, point sharp, fantastic color rep. Extremly fast AF.
negative:Front element is rotating during AF. Can not be used with Minolta TC. Tripod mounting does not come off.
comment:One of my standart lenses ( 17-35/3,5 G is the other ).
Does a great job for portrait and landscape photography.
G = fantastic
reviewer#152 date: Sep-9-2005
compared to:Canon 70-200L IS USM
KM 70-210/4
positive:Excellent image quality
great AF performance
robust build
I have it ;)
negative:It would be nice to have a focus limiter
Front element rotates
Tripod collar not removable
Isn't compatible with Minolta TC
comment:I was very lucky to get this lens in great conditions very cheap. If not for that I would most probably be on the waiting list for KM 70-200SSM because I need a fast and reliable lens in this range for my work.
Anyway, this lens is simply fantastic. I'm pretty conservative in rating a lens with 5, but this lens deserves that (despite some flaws).
Optically, this is a top grade lens by any means. Sharp even wide open, with excellent contrast colors and bokeh. With this lens as a reference zoom lens it's very easy to spot imperfections of most rivals.
AF is really good. This is the only zoom lens I have tried with 7D, that makes continuous focus usable. I presume it's the focusing gear that makes this possible.
I listed the main shortcomings above and KM has done a great job in improving all "flaws" in the newer 70-200SSM model.
A pity that the price of these lenses (even on second hand) will be to high for most users. It's a joy using it.
**Full frame**
For my needs this is still the best performing lens covering this range and i do not itend to replace it with the new SSM glass.
reviewer#151 date: Oct-9-2005
positive:Fantastic lens - fast in all ways, very sharp even wide open.
negative:Quite heavy, tripod collar doesn't come off and front filter rotates on focusing.
comment:A couple of images taken with it and the 7D:
reviewer#16 date: Nov-22-2004
Fast
Great Bokeh
Excellen built quality
negative:Tripod collar (can't be removed)
comment:Well, what can I say...

This is probably the best Minolta lens you can have, it is hard to find one in second hand market. Most of the owner will just keep it once they have it.

If you see one and have the budget to buy it, don't hesitate. You will be pleased. But if you can't strecth your budget, then find the Minolta 70-210 f4.

This is my highly recommended lens.
reviews found: 97    << 1 2 3 4