Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM A-mount lens reviews

reviews found: 101    << 1 2 3 4
reviewer#9655 date: Dec-2-2011
compared to:tamron 17-50 2.8, sony cz 16-80
price paid:Kit lens
positive:Good build quality, dust and moisture proof, IQ, fast, focal length, SSM motor
negative:pricy & a bit heavy
comment:Just got this lens as a kit with A77 camera some days back. Haven't tested it much. but this lens works well with the A77 and feels better in the hands than my earlier Tamron 17-50. The Tam is good for A700 but imho its cheap build and noisy AF is not suited for A77 and its video abilities. The sony beats the CZ in quality, built and aperture. End of the day this lens has been especially designed to handle 24mp resolution of A77

A must have for everyday use. All i can say is super quality, quite, fast and great IQ. Bokeh is lovely.

IMHO sony should have called this a 'G' lens. unbelievable that sony has provided this as a kit lens. Wonder whats in store for the A99 in future.
reviewer#9585 date: Nov-13-2011
compared to:Sony 50mm 1.8 SAM
price paid:€599 (BULK)
positive:F2.8
Size
Silent AF
negative:Slight distortion and vignetting (pretty normal for this range)
comment:Bought this lens for my A77. The lens is available in Europe as BULK, so no orange Sony box. However with normal guarantee.

Before owning this lens I mostly used the plastic fantastic 50mm 1.8 which I found to be very sharp. Well the 16-50 is as sharp, maybe even sharper and has much nicer bokeh. The range makes it an ideal walk round lens. It's a bit heavy but I like it that way. In fact I haven't used the 50mm 1.8 anymore since.

The build quality is superb. The lens looks very nice and Sony payed real attention to the looks. Furthermore the lens is weather sealed so combining it with an A77 makes it the ideal travel companion.

At 16mm there is some distortion. However I actually like it at 16mm, gives a bit of fish eye effect. Vignetting is present, but does not bother me at all.

This lens is a great addition to the collection with very fast and silent AF, great build quality and F2.8 throughout the whole range. To bad Sony did not label it as G or CZ. However that would have influenced the price also..
reviewer#9584 date: Nov-13-2011
Good balance on A77
Metal filter thread
Distotion correction with A77
negative:So far nothing
comment:A little early as I only have it for two days, I will review it later again if anything changed.
This is one sharp lens, so far I was always worried to use any lens wide open, except my 70-300G, but cetrainly there is no problem with this.
The SSM as usual fast and quite, but so far all my lenses been fast with a77.
Combined with A77 the distortion is gone, which fantastic, I dont need to relay on dxo anymore.
Comparing it to Tam 16-50, this one for sure sharper wide open.
Overall highly recommended, I wish I would have wait until the kit was available, as buying them separate costed me $300 extra.
Flare I gave 4 as I have not really tested yet, so for now 4.
The build I gave also 4, as it is not fair to 70-200G if you give this one 5, but I think it is actually better than my 70-300G.
Distotion, gets 4, as it is expected at wide it does exist. (If you shoot jpg, like me with a77, this is not really a problem.) But i tried to give more a general review.
reviewer#9580 date: Nov-12-2011
Colours
negative:Slight vignetting at16mm and f2.8
Slight distortion at 16mm
Only 50mm
comment:I love the weight and feel of this lens on both my A77 and A580. Sharpness is very good at f2.8 but excellent at 3.5 onwards. I would rate this at least 4.8 on the scale so decided to go for the nearest which is 5.
I didn't notice any flare on any of my images so far but will come back and amend when I have taken more in bright sunlight.
I sold my CZ16-80 because it did not live up to its price tag and this lens is just as sharp at 3.5 as the CZ - would like to have had the 80mm length but not at the expense of an f4.5. Thought about the 24-70 but needed the width that this lens provides. If I go FF, the 24-70 would be my choice.
reviewer#9579 date: Nov-11-2011
compared to:My primes SAL20F2.8, SAL28F2.8, M35F2, M50F1.7
price paid:589 EUR (new)
positive:Well built, feels solid
Instant silent accurate AF
Smooth zoom and focussing ring
Weather sealing
negative:Heavier than expected (or is this a positive)
comment:Got tired of walking around with 4 primes all the time. OK, lost a bit of light compared to the 35F2 and 50F1.7, but not much and the lens is actually very nice at F2.8 (don't expect razor sharp corners, for that you need to stop down a bit, but who needs sharp corners wide open?). Use it at F5.6-8 and you have corner to corner sharpness and great depth of field for landscapes

The range perfectly suits my needs.

At 16 mm distortion is there, but on which WA there isn't? Fix it in post processing or buy A77 and shoot JPG. There is some vignetting wide open, so what?

Haven't noticed any flaring, but eventually all wide angles can be made to do it. Has a nice hood though.

Color is what you make it in the digital age, but looks nice.
reviewer#9576 date: Nov-11-2011
Sigma 17.50 f2.8
price paid:670GBP
positive:Sharp at f.28, really sharp at f3.2 onwards
SSm fast & silent
negative:none
comment:I've been waiting a 'long time' for this lens (or its equivalent) to come out. For professional use on APS C there isn't a better lens available. Used on the A700, the SSM is quick & silent. The range is 24-75, a perfect equivalent to a 24-70 on FF. Mild distortion at 16mm, but in no way bothersome. Slight blue fringing detected at f2.8, which is nearly gone by f3.2. Also vignetting at f2.8 is reasonably strong, however, if your a portrait photographer, you actually 'want' vignetting at these apertures. What I've found really exciting was the colour & the overall exposure. This lens has immediately transformed my A700. I would go so far as to say that this is the no 1 lens for your APS-C Sony. Certainly if you're serious about your photography.
reviewer#9565 date: Nov-5-2011
compared to:16-105 DT
24-70CZ
price paid:600 USD (kit)
positive:Fast
negative:Size
Weight
comment:Definitely not a small or light lens, but it balances with the A77. Sharpness is great, and rarely back/front focus. With micro AF adjustment it'd be even better.
The 16-105 seems really light after holding this for a while.

I love the silent AF and the range. You will feel limited by the range at first, but this is the range I shoot at 70% of the time (and the 30% is covered by my 55-200 or 70-200) (On APS-C, that is)

No doubt the designers are serious about the build. Very solid.

If you look for an affordable high quality lens, this lens will be a good start. Still a way to compare with the 24-70CZ, but at the price, you get what you pay for.
Still first days using the lens, so will update review if there are any changes
reviewer#9564 date: Nov-4-2011
price paid:600 USD (New)
positive:SSM
Build Quality
Constant Aperture
Fast AF
Bigger filter diameter (more intimidating in a way, but you look more like a pro with it)
negative:Heavier than CZ16-80 (NOT a real issue)
distortion on 16mm, but to be expected
a bit more range please? :p
comment:It's really hard to find an A77 with this lens as kit in Indonesia, and I finally got it! and boy was it worth every phone call and text messages I made to every possible retailer around.

The lens basically trumps the CZ 1680 in terms of build, focusing, and aperture (means almost all aspects including low light situations), except for the shorter focal length (which is more useful on outdoors) and heavier (if you want to travel light, the CZ is more shoulder friendly, but only by a bit).

Sharpness is great on all focal lengths, even at max aperture. I've heard there were issues of decentering. However I learned of that after I had the lens for a few days and I found none in my copy.

If you are looking for a consistent lens to walk around with good low light performance and fast & silent AF(compared to the CZ), this is the answer. And the price is cheaper when compared to a new CZ 16-80 if you buy it as a kit lens with the A77. Even if you buy it separately, it's still better IMO.
reviewer#9561 date: Nov-2-2011
Moisture / dust seals
SSM
negative:Not long enough
Unusual filter size at 72mm
comment:To call this a 'Kit' lens is a little bit misleading, even though it does come as part of a kit :-). Basically, this is a short, fast zoom that's an APSC only G lens in all but name (as prototype IDs would appear to confirm. Build quality is excellent on my copy (a few early review copies had some centring problems though so beware), AF on the A77 is fast, smooth and quiet and it gives sharp images even wide open - better than the Tamron 17-50mm imho, though a bit pricier due to the SSM / seals. A great lens and a must on the A77. It would replace my Zeiss is it was just a bit longer. Also, there's just a hint of distortion / flare but the score system doesn't allow 4.5 and I hesitate to use a 'perfect 5' for that reason.
reviewer#9540 date: Oct-29-2011
compared to:Zeiss 24-70
price paid:Part of A77 kit
positive:Nice solid build
Colours
Sharpness
negative:Not "long" enough
comment:I took my A77 and 16-50 for a "test drive" yesterday. Overall I was quite impressed by the lens - the SSM is silent and quick and the lens produces some very nice photos. However, I did find that I ended up switching to my Zeiss 24-70 as I found that for me the lens was not quite long enough for my style of photography.
reviewer#9481 date: Oct-8-2011
price paid:799 CDN
bright
fast silent autofocus
little vignetting
negative:size
flare
comment:Early days yet but so far I am impressed.

A nice fit on the A700 but feels bulkier than the 16-80, although the weight feels about the same. I do miss the extra reach but the improved aperture and shallow DOF are winning me over. The SSM is awesome, very quiet and fast focus. I have only tried daylight photography so far, so have to explore the low-light experience. Intentional into-sun shots produced significant and large flare. The lens feels very solidly built, zooming is smooth and stiffer than the 16-80, no lens creep noted even without using the lock.
reviews found: 101    << 1 2 3 4