Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM A-mount lens reviews

price paid:600 USD (kit)
positive:Fast
negative:Size
Weight
comment:Definitely not a small or light lens, but it balances with the A77. Sharpness is great, and rarely back/front focus. With micro AF adjustment it'd be even better.
The 16-105 seems really light after holding this for a while.

I love the silent AF and the range. You will feel limited by the range at first, but this is the range I shoot at 70% of the time (and the 30% is covered by my 55-200 or 70-200) (On APS-C, that is)

No doubt the designers are serious about the build. Very solid.

If you look for an affordable high quality lens, this lens will be a good start. Still a way to compare with the 24-70CZ, but at the price, you get what you pay for.
Still first days using the lens, so will update review if there are any changes
reviewer#9564 date: Nov-4-2011
price paid:600 USD (New)
positive:SSM
Build Quality
Constant Aperture
Fast AF
Bigger filter diameter (more intimidating in a way, but you look more like a pro with it)
negative:Heavier than CZ16-80 (NOT a real issue)
distortion on 16mm, but to be expected
a bit more range please? :p
comment:It's really hard to find an A77 with this lens as kit in Indonesia, and I finally got it! and boy was it worth every phone call and text messages I made to every possible retailer around.

The lens basically trumps the CZ 1680 in terms of build, focusing, and aperture (means almost all aspects including low light situations), except for the shorter focal length (which is more useful on outdoors) and heavier (if you want to travel light, the CZ is more shoulder friendly, but only by a bit).

Sharpness is great on all focal lengths, even at max aperture. I've heard there were issues of decentering. However I learned of that after I had the lens for a few days and I found none in my copy.

If you are looking for a consistent lens to walk around with good low light performance and fast & silent AF(compared to the CZ), this is the answer. And the price is cheaper when compared to a new CZ 16-80 if you buy it as a kit lens with the A77. Even if you buy it separately, it's still better IMO.
reviewer#9561 date: Nov-2-2011
Moisture / dust seals
SSM
negative:Not long enough
Unusual filter size at 72mm
comment:To call this a 'Kit' lens is a little bit misleading, even though it does come as part of a kit :-). Basically, this is a short, fast zoom that's an APSC only G lens in all but name (as prototype IDs would appear to confirm. Build quality is excellent on my copy (a few early review copies had some centring problems though so beware), AF on the A77 is fast, smooth and quiet and it gives sharp images even wide open - better than the Tamron 17-50mm imho, though a bit pricier due to the SSM / seals. A great lens and a must on the A77. It would replace my Zeiss is it was just a bit longer. Also, there's just a hint of distortion / flare but the score system doesn't allow 4.5 and I hesitate to use a 'perfect 5' for that reason.
reviewer#9540 date: Oct-29-2011
compared to:Zeiss 24-70
price paid:Part of A77 kit
positive:Nice solid build
Colours
Sharpness
negative:Not "long" enough
comment:I took my A77 and 16-50 for a "test drive" yesterday. Overall I was quite impressed by the lens - the SSM is silent and quick and the lens produces some very nice photos. However, I did find that I ended up switching to my Zeiss 24-70 as I found that for me the lens was not quite long enough for my style of photography.
reviewer#9481 date: Oct-8-2011
price paid:799 CDN
bright
fast silent autofocus
little vignetting
negative:size
flare
comment:Early days yet but so far I am impressed.

A nice fit on the A700 but feels bulkier than the 16-80, although the weight feels about the same. I do miss the extra reach but the improved aperture and shallow DOF are winning me over. The SSM is awesome, very quiet and fast focus. I have only tried daylight photography so far, so have to explore the low-light experience. Intentional into-sun shots produced significant and large flare. The lens feels very solidly built, zooming is smooth and stiffer than the 16-80, no lens creep noted even without using the lock.
reviews found: 95    << 1 2 3 4