Minolta AF 85mm F1.4 A-mount lens reviews

reviews found: 53    << 1 2
reviewer#4348 date: Nov-10-2008
positive:Everything
comment:This lens is exceptional: portraits acquire a new dimension, the rendering of the OOF area is wonderful. The image is something "live" to me, thanks to some magic in this glass I can't exactly define.

AF is a bit noisy, DOF at f1.4 is prohibitive but the sharpness, colors and OOF rendering reward your efforts.

Expensive, but I wouldn't sell it even under torture.
reviewer#4292 date: Oct-27-2008
compared to:not really with anything in it's class - maybe KM100 2.8 and 135STF but those are quite different application lenses
price paid:811 mint
positive:very good 1.4 performance
portrait killer - very nice boketh
great build
negative:manual focus not that great
slowish autofocus
comment:Bought this a while ago in a binge as I couldn't really afford the CZ85mm... I mean with the same money they were asking for the CZ I bought this lens and a new 100 2.8M from BH.

Very happy with the decision despite never trying out the CZ... This lens is better than my humble photographic skills but I hope some day to be able to use it at it's full potential.

Great portrait lens with nice boketh, very sharp by 2.0 but also pleasant @1.4 (the microscopic DOF along with possibly some BF on my camera makes it hard for me to get consistent results)

The built is impressive - will likely last more than my grandfather's Doxa provided it is treated decently. The only caveat is the narrow focus ring and the slowish + noisy AF (I can live with this given the money I saved compared with the CZ). There is a fair amount of flare wide open but is correctable with stopping down when shooting against light (I gather is expected for this type of large aperture lens; probably the absence of fancy digital coatings is not helping either...)
reviewer#4268 date: Oct-21-2008
compared to:28-75
17-25
50 f/1.4
price paid:440€
positive:Everything.
negative:Obliges me to purchase an A 900! :-)
A bit hard to use at 1.4.
comment:That was an impulsive purchase on eBay, 440€, I couldn't have let it pass away without acting.

Actually, the optical quality is perfect. And, though it doesn't have the last "G" minolta design, I think I love it more because of its vintage style.

Really really worth, I think I would regret all my life to sell it. As with a 50mm, all the shots are successful.
reviewer#4265 date: Oct-21-2008
compared to:Minolta 50mm 1.7RS
Minolta 50mm 3.5 Macro
Minolta 28-135mm
price paid:530€ SH
Colors
negative:Not too quick AF...
comment:After 3 months, I am still admiring the results of this magnificent lens, I like every photo it takes, I know I can only exploit a part of its possibilities, I'll never sell it.
reviewer#4263 date: Oct-20-2008
positive:Fast and sharp.
Build quality.
Beautiful bokeh.
negative:Somewhat noisy.
comment:I finally bought one of these beautiful, fast prime lenses for portrait work and it doesn't disappoint. This original 85/1.4 is a wonderful performer. The price was higher than last year but with prices approaching $1K it seemed like a good time to buy. The newer Zeiss 85/1.4 was too much money...as was most nice Minolta 85 G's I've seen lately. Having the same glass (as the G), this lens purchase was a no-brainer. Highly recommended!

Update: After using this original 85/1.4 for a couple weeks I can say with all honesty that I made the correct decision to purchase. This is a fantastic portrait lens! If you want a fast 85 with great quality, this is the lens!
reviewer#4059 date: Sep-6-2008
compared to:Tamron 90/2.8
KM 28-75/2.8(D)
SMC Takumar 50/1.4
SMC Takumar 135/2.5
CZJ Flektogon 35/2.4
price paid:USD765 (used exc+)
positive:- bokeh, bokeh and bokeh
- fast
- tank-like build quality
- sharp from f/2
negative:- lots of axial colour
- min focus distance
- not quite sharp at f/1.4
- focus a little slow
comment:This is a lens I lusted after for quite a while and it did not disappoint when I finally got it. The bokeh is as great as everyone says. The colour neutrality and saturation are fantastic. It can be flare-prone, but the hood is reasonably effective. All-metal construction is great; weight/balance on A700+VG is perfect.

Focal length is perfect for head+shoulders portraits on APS-C at a comfortable, conversational sort of distance or across a table.

Sharpness is a step beyond the "sharp" 28-75/2.8 - at least as good at f/2 as the zoom is at f/4, perhaps better. It's about in the same ballpark as the SMC 50/1.4 and Flektogon 35/2.4. Sharpness and bokeh are better than the Tamron 90.

Lack of ADI is no issue at all - use of direct flash with this lens except for daylight-fill should be a crime punishable by confiscation.

The only real fault with the lens is its propensity for severe axial chromatic aberration: green/magenta transitional bokeh, which can be quite disturbing at times. There don't seem to be any fast M-AF 85s available without this fault though; the later Minolta revisions and the 85ZA have the same effect.

This is a magical lens which I am unlikely to ever sell.
reviewer#4020 date: Aug-30-2008
compared to:100/2.8 macro D
50/1.7
Sigma APO 70-200/2.8 EX DG
price paid:500 EURO (used)
positive:- f/1.4,
- classical metal/glass construction,
- bokeh
negative:- extremely sharp from f/2.8
- slow AF
comment:Very fast and high quality lens made form metal and glass only ;-) The one I own was made in 1987 and it's still working properly. No wobbeling, no bugs and defects of any kind - first-class optical and mechanical quality without any compromises.
At f/1.4 You can see a glimmer of softness but from f/2-2.8 this lens is very sharp.
One of my favourite lens.
reviewer#3024 date: Dec-3-2007
compared to:minolta 100mm macro
sigma 70-300mm
positive:accurate color
very good bokeh( better than the minolta 100mm macro)
built to last
circular aperture until f2.5
good focal length for portraits
The auto focus is quick on the A100.
negative:1:7.8 max magnification

comment:It's obvious that this lens was especially designed for portrait photography.When compared with the 100mm Minolta macro the 85mm is slightly less sharp and has less contrast.I think Minolta prioritized the bokeh and making the photos more pleasing to the people being photographed.
It also brings out shadow detail very well.
I read somewhere on the internet that the Minolta original lenses were made during the time that Minolta manufactured their own glass.This allowed them to balance color and contrast by adjusting the lens coating.
reviewer#2875 date: Oct-26-2007
compared to:You name it. Most recently, 28-75/2.8; have done candids with 90/2.8 and 100/2.8 on film. 28-85. 135/2.8. Other shorter & longer lenses.
positive:Sharp; perfectly usable at f/1.4 (much sharper than 50/1.4 wide open) and very sharp beyond. Good compromise FL for portraits on both APS-C and FF. Not compact, but not obtrusive.
negative:Sluggish (but adequate) "clacky" old-style AF (like other 'original' lenses). Lousy close focussing.
comment:I've been in the market for a dedicated portrait lens but haven't wanted to pay a lot because I still plan to use the more flexible 28-75/2.8 zoom quite a bit. (I found that at least 1/3 of my shots at events are at 75mm and I frequently wish for a slightly longer lens). I've used macro lenses for portraits, but even with focus limiter on, AF is pretty slow (Tamron 90/2.8 & Min 100/2.8 - recently tried newest versions of each on 7D). Top choices were 85/1.4 and 100/2 & was afraid 100 might be a tad long on APS-C. With 85's regularly going for $800-ish (original) to $950-ish (G) I wasn't too hopeful & figured I'd wait to see if Sony rolls out an 85/1.8. Then Gsaronni posted a link to this 85/1.4 original in 8 condition at B&H. No hood and scuffed exterior (but better than I expected) and fine optics, focus & aperture.

It's funny - according to specs, the CZ85/1.4 is minutely bigger than this lens. When I saw the CZ, it was next to the 135/1.8 and I had the impression that the 85 was fairly compact. Now that I have the Min 85 next to a Tamron 28-75 and sitting on the camera, it seems fairly big. But not big enough to be obtrusive.

MFD is going to be an occasional issue. I can occasionally get great closeups of kids sitting next to them; posted an example of a kid scowling at me taken with 28-75D that I could not have taken with 28-70G due to MFD. I note that the CZ85 does not have a better MFD though.

AF is adequate - not as quick as the 28-75; not even close to the CZ85 on the A700 - it has that "clacky" feel that many of the original lenses have - sort of anti-SSM where you can feel the torque as it starts and the slam as it stops (that's an exaggeration, of course). Similar to the original 28-85 and 135/2.8 I owned; quicker than the 28-85 with far less hunting (just a bit in low light) but not as quick as the 135/2.8. I expect that any of the RS (G)versions would be better (the RS 28-85 is much nicer than the original at AF).

The glass is impressive - that's a nice big hunk of crystal clear glass in this thing. Aperture is supposedly circular; it's round as can be wide open, pretty rounded at f/2 and f/2.8, but starts to look polygonal (9-blades though) below that. Sony defines circular aperture as circular from wide open down 2 stops and this fits; it's just a shame that two stops from f/1.4 is still pretty wide ! Circular out to f/5.6 would be great. Though I expect I'll be using this lens primarily in A mode at f/2 (mostly) and f/1.4 or f/2.8 depending on conditions.

Re: sharpness - I don't really anticipate doing much pixel peeping with this lens - I know from other experiences and mtf charts available here & there that this is supposedly a sharp lens, so I've just done a few quick tests to verify that my copy is good. On 6MP it's hard to know just how good. At f/2, it seems that it's bound to be a match for the excellent 28/2. At f/1.4 it beats the pants off the 50/1.4 ... I never used the 50/1.4 wide open, always shot it at f/2. But I'll happily shoot this lens wide open (if I can get away with the very shallow DOF).
reviewer#2779 date: Sep-25-2007
compared to:Sony 50 f 1.4
Tamron 17-50 f 2.8
beercan
price paid:637 eur (used)
positive:Build
Sharpness
Colors

negative:Maybe weight... but it is just a little scratch
Hunts on low light condition
comment:After some tests... The lens is heavy and well balanced. The rubber grip is very useful in manual focus. Sharpness is great, at 2.8 it could be used on digital as a tele-lens, with great results. Quick in good light situations, with low contrasts-light sometimes it hunts. Anyway, it's a wonderful glass. One of my favourite
reviewer#2688 date: Sep-3-2007
compared to:tamron 90/2.8, sigma 70-200ex, minolta beercan, minolta 80-200HS
positive:Very sharp in the center throughout. Sharp by F2.2 in the corners. Amazing color, contast, bokeh. Very solid build.
negative:focus ring is small. Loud when autofocusing.
comment:Phenomenal portrait lens.
reviewer#2346 date: May-23-2007
compared to:50/1.4
price paid:605EUR
positive:- Sharpness @ 1.8/2+
- Bokeh
- DOF
negative:- missing focus hold button (in this edition)
comment:
reviewer#2290 date: May-9-2007
price paid:600Euro
positive:Sharp, Bokeh,Color, Build
negative:Lens cap not so convenient
comment:Very good lens which is able of producing excellent images. It hunts sometimes and AF is bit slow, but images spot on simply blows you away.
Build is good, made to last for many many years.
Highly recommended!
reviewer#2010 date: Mar-23-2007
compared to:Minolta 100/2.8 Macro D
Minolta 24-105/3.5-4.5 D
Canon 80-200/2.8 L
Canon 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS USM
positive:Great for portraits
Wonderful colors
negative:Size and weight (if they made it a 1.8, it'd be perfect)
comment:Sharpness: Not the sharpest lens in the world but then again, that's a plus for portraits. I usually take indoor, available-light shots at F2 or F2.8 and the results are sharp enough.

Color: Fantastic. Unfortunately, the advantage is usually lost with post-processing.

Build: Feels solid in my hands but the big curved element on the front makes me nervous. Manual focus ring could be bigger. This lens could also benefit from an internal focusing design - my copy appears to have sucked in some dust (fortunately, not a problem at the wider apertures) and also, it would have sped up focusing by not having to move the huge front element.

Distortion: If it's there, it's not bothering me.

Flare: No problems so far.

Notes: A fun lens to use indoors, my only wish is that it were a little less bulky - I use a 5D so it tends to be a little front-heavy. I've said in the forums and I'll repeat here that I envy Canon's excellent 85/1.8 USM which is every bit as good optically as the Minolta but lighter and smaller.
reviewer#1776 date: Feb-7-2007
compared to:100/2
positive:Build
Sharpnes
negative:Noisy AF
comment:Little slow and noisy AF.
Used right and the images "pop".
MF-ring is useful!

compared to:50/1.4, 50/1.7, 28-75/2.8
positive:- Very Sharp!!!
- Beautiful Bokeh
- Solid build
negative:- I didn't get this before the jump in price! Bummer.
comment:I've taken portraits with the lens wide open and stopped down. The results are jaw dropping! When shooting wide open, you will need to exert extra care to steady the camera/lens. I can't really add any more information without repeating what has already been said in other reviews. I HIGHLY recommend this lens for portrait work and perhaps some indoor sporting events, especially those that prevent lenses greater than 100mm for spectators...such as the Australian Open (tennis).
reviewer#1552 date: Dec-22-2006
compared to:35 2.0, 50 2.8
price paid:250 €
positive:sharp, nice bokeh, excellent colors
comment:Little flare at 1.4, very good at 2.0, excellent at 2.8
Found this one in a local shop, in as new condition.
reviewer#1025 date: Jul-16-2006
compared to:KM 28-75 2.8D, 80-200 APO 2.8
price paid:400 USD Mint
positive:Perfect for portraits!
negative:Little flare at times, and the colors are a bit on the cool side for my taste.
comment:Whenever family or friends want a portrait, this is the lens that I use. Otherwise, it sits in its case. It's just too large to carry along on normal shoots. Compared to the the other Minolta primes, my lens seems to have a cool tone to its color. After countering with a 1B warming filter, that was too much. Not sure what to try now, maybe a 1A. Since I normally convert to B&W, the colors don't matter that much.

At 1.4, the depth of field is so small, it is very VERY hard to get a perfect shot every time. I typically use it at f2 or f2.8 for portraiture with very smooth out of focus areas, almost too creamy. In some shots, it is even hard to tell if the background is a fountain or a tree. Maybe a smaller aperture will work better next photo shoot.

I love this lens, but only for this single purpose. A must have, indeed. I picked up the Pre G version before used prices shot to over $550-$600 dollars, thank goodness.
reviewer#839 date: May-26-2006
compared to:Min 85/1.4 G NewRS, Tam SP 90/2.8 Di, Min 135/2.8, Min 100/2.8 soft focus, Min 35/1.4, Min 50/1.4 original & NewRS
positive:- build quality
- 3d images thanks to circular aperture
- price/performance
- probably the ONLY original Minolta lens with a useable manual focus ring
negative:- noisey AF
- hunts a little
- manual focus ring moves while in AF, be careful how you hold the lens
comment:- sharp from f2.8, usuable at f2, get it right at f1.4 and images are OUT OF THIS WORLD. For me this beats the 35/1.4 & 50/1.4 in terms of useability at f1.4.

- you don't buy an f1.4 to shoot at f11. As a user its an f2.8 lens. Get creative with f2 & f1.4 and be very steady and this lens will reward you. Some effort required

- used with the dedicated hood, flare control is great

- this is the one lens that will (hopefully) stop me getting the STF ... we'll see?!

- this is my 2nd 85/1.4 - I had the NewRS version before, and must have just forgotten to use it right? I wasn't in love with that one. This one seems to ooooooze quality. I love it

- that manual focus ring is great. Normally for a Minolta AF "original" the manual focus ring gets a knocking. This one is great.

- colours are a tad muted so far. I might pop back and edit the color rating when I've shot more with it
reviewer#752 date: May-5-2006
compared to:135/2.8 on film.
positive:- Sharp
- 1.4
- Smooth bokeh
negative:Less ideal focal length on digital
comment:Portraits, concerts, availible light work of any kind. This lens does the job suberbly. My favourite Minolta lens.

Samlpes from film and digital:
reviewer#417 date: Jan-19-2006
positive:Excellent lens
negative:7D field of view has hurt the use
comment:I use this lens mostly to take pictures of my son when I want to blur out the background. This lens is excellent in all lighting conditions. The one downside for me is using the lens inside...I need to stand far back to get a picture and it sometimes is a factor.

Excellent lens.
reviewer#383 date: Jan-5-2006
compared to:135/2.8, 50/1.7&1.4, 28-75/2.8
positive:- very sharp
- very sharp
- very sharp
negative:- a bit heavy
- not so fast AF
comment:A sharp lens (at f1.4 only bord are not so sharp, at f1.7/2 everything is fine). Heavy on a KM 5d, with a not so fast af.

See my complete review here: http://www.pophouse.it/minoltalenstest
reviewer#319 date: Dec-21-2005
positive:Great lens for portrait.
Point sharp.
negative:Noisy when AF is working.
comment:Overall a great lens with fantastic glass. Sharp as H....
Very good at low light situations, 1,4.
reviews found: 53    << 1 2