Minolta AF 24-50mm F4 A-mount lens reviews

Good colour
Constant f/4
Cheap
negative:None
comment:(Edited)
I have had this lens for a while now & find it very useful.
As a wide angle on the a850 it shines. Sharp at f/4 & even sharper by f/5.
It is reasonably low contrast which can help when shooting in high contrast situations.
Nice lens.
reviewer#5896 date: Aug-24-2009
compared to:Tokina 19-35, Zeiss 16-35, Minolta 28-85, Minolta 35-70, Minolta 50 mms (Various)
positive:Good range for FF, great colour and nice highlight rendering, low distortion and very low CA when used at optimum settings
negative:Flares quite strongly and low contrast compared to modern optics, needs to be well stopped down for optimal performance
comment:Actually a very interesting lens that has some nice features for certain types of image making. Build quality is pretty good, but not great, I would rate it just below the 35-70 f 4 and way short of the stellar build of the 28-85 3.5-4.5, but still it is better than lots of other non OEM lenses and should last a long time.

Up front there is no way on full frame you can use this lens at anything like maximum aperture if you want clarity from edge to edge.

After extensive testing, the following apertures can be considered the practical minimum. 24mm f9, 28mm f11, 35mm f11, 42mm f10, 50mm f6.3.

And here is the kicker, at all focal lengths except 50 mm it gives it best quality at f18!, at 50 mm its f16. Obviously these apertures are well into diffraction territory but the files actually sharpen beautifully so despite the theory it actually works for this lens.

Two other aspects are worthy of note; First it has very little barrel or pin cushion distortion, in this respect it beats most of the other Minolta lenses of similar age. Second, once stopped down about a stop and half from open it has virtually no CA, and is much better than many lenses I have tried in this range both new and old designs.

Colour is very nice, skies render beautifully, almost as good as the 28-85 and about the same as the 35-70.

Its over-riding characteristic is low contrast and flare. Now flare is a problem for many unless the lens is well sheltered but low contrast is often a good thing as highlights and shadows can be easier to maintain in the same image with suitable post editing and that is the case here, once edited the files look terrific.

So who would need or use this lens. It is a good lens for architecture due to low distortion, for the same reason its a good choice for panoramas, and the low CA helps a lot here. It is also a good choice for deep DOF landscapes, in fact that is really its forte, where you want maximum DOF and are prepared to post edit.

I wouldn't use it as a 50mm lens, whilst fine, the stellar performance of the 35-70 f 4 at 50 mm renders it utterly out of contention, its optimal performance is around 28-35mm, 24mm is fine but at wide apertures has very poor performance on FF .

In general although I ran no specific tests on APSC sensors, crops equal to that format indicate it would be useable across the full range f6.3 except for 24 mm where f8 is needed.
reviewer#5777 date: Jul-29-2009
compared to:Sigma 24-50 f4-f5.6
Tokina ATX 24-200
price paid:Ł69 (s/h)
positive:Sharp, even wide open
Colour
negative:Needs lens hood
comment:Great compact lens. I can't understand why this range is so unpopular when in full frame (film) days a 35-70 was considered to be an ideal walkround lens. True - lens technology has moved on but this is still a great little lens.
reviewer#5692 date: Jul-12-2009
compared to:Sony 18-70 Kit lens
positive:Color, build
comment:I haven't worked with many lenses so far, but this is the one I'm gonna keep as long as it's gonna work. Wouldn't sell it ever, it's a fantastic lens and flare doesn't bother me at all, I even kinda like it.
reviewer#5316 date: Apr-30-2009
compared to:Minolta 18-70 f/3.5-5.6,
Minolta 50mm f/1.7,
Minolta 70-210 f/4,
Minolta 100mm f/2.8,
Nikkor 18-70 f/3.5-4.5
positive:Constant F/4
Great Minolta Color
Very sharp stopped down a bit
good build quality - smooth focus/zoom
Great wide angle start (24mm)
Decent Bokeh
negative:Flare
Weak telephoto range
Weak lens hood
comment:I got this lens mostly for the f/4 constant, I simply hate dealing with variable aperture lens', particularly at wide end. Its also my perfect range for landscape shots, as I prefer to avoid anything wider than 24-28mm (due to distortion).

There have been several flare anomalies I've caught on this lens, sort of obnoxious but its the one downside. It is often just a very small rainbow colored dot in the image. It can usually be controlled with a filtered rubber lens hood add-on, or even putting your hand up to block the light path.

Distortion is very well controlled throughout the zoom.

Color is always wonderful. The color always pops with this with a very impressive vibrancy. Very much Minolta color, color being the strongest point of this lens for me.

I quite like the build, its not heavy and solid as the Beercan, but it doesn't need to be, its not a huge telephoto zoom. The focus and zoom rings both glide very smoothly, though the focus ring does rotate.

The bokeh isn't fabulous, but its decent for an f/4 wide angle zoom, better then average bokeh for lens type.

I put this up against the 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 G ED Nikkor (that is *not* their Kit lens), and it ran circles around it, for what that is worth.
reviewer#4631 date: Jan-5-2009
compared to:Minolta 24mm f/2.8
Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5
Minolta 50mm f/1.7
Minolta 35-70mm f/4.0
positive:Compact
Low weight
Constant f/4
Can be sharp at any focal length
True Minolta colors
negative:Soft at 50mm f/4
Included hood of limited use
Focus ring needs better dampening
comment:On a Sony A350, this lens is sharp at any aperture from 24mm to about 36mm. Stopping down makes it even sharper, but I'm comfortable shooting at f/4 between these apertures. At 50mm, this lens is not sharp wide open. It really needs to be stopped down to f/5.6 and preferably to f/7.1 to get a critically sharp image. The good news is that it can compete with Minolta's original primes when stopped down. The more modern Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 is sharper with slightly better contrast at 24mm, but it too becomes softer toward its longer focal lengths.

Chromatic aberration is well controlled with this lens, although some is apparent in high contrast areas when shooting wide open. This is very common for the 1980's Minoltas. Distortion is also well controlled and not really a problem if care is taken to maintain a camera position that is level with the ground at 24mm. Flare can be a problem with very bright objects and the included lens good does little to prevent it. Still, I found slight changes in shooting angles were often enough to eliminate it.

Build quality is good and this lens is designed to last. The focus ring on my copy was looser than I would have preferred, but the zoom ring had nice dampening.

If 50mm is more critical to you than 24mm in a zoom lens, the Minolta 35-70mm f/4.0 is a noticeably sharper lens with even slightly better colors for the same weight and less money.
reviewer#4628 date: Jan-4-2009
Small
Zoom
Constant F4
negative:Flare!
Does it come with a real lenshood?
Limited zoom
comment:Built like a tank (just like all other old Minolta's) it is more usefull than the 50 or 28 that i got (altough those are better used inside or low light).
One of it's problems is that it's a flare magnet and needs a proper hood (original doesn't help at all).
Wish there was a zoom like this (old style Minolta) but wider!
reviewer#4566 date: Dec-19-2008
compared to:Sigma 24 - 60 / 2,8
Minolta 50 / 1,7
price paid:cannot remenber
positive:Light weight and small.
Gives good pictures.
F4 all range
comment:My first lens. It came to me with my Dynax 600si Classic.
I like use it with my film camera but after I get my Sony A100, it start stand my bookcase.
reviewer#4279 date: Oct-25-2008
compared to:Sony 18-70 Kit lens
50mm 1.7
price paid:79 usd used
positive:Sharp as a prime when used in the right situations.
Very small and light.
Cheap so I don't have to worry about being careful with it.
negative:flares.
Limited range.
comment:Bought this lens as i wanted something better than the kit lens. Didn't want to spend too much until i figured out what lens exactly did i want to spend all my pennies on. Very happy with it as my kit lens replacement.
reviewer#4274 date: Oct-24-2008
compared to:SAL1680CZ
positive:Very sharp at 24mm
Minimum Focus Distance
Very good flare control!
comment:Even with a short range of 24-50, this is fun to use and I really love the IQ specially at 24mm which I think is even sharper than SAL1680's 24mm. My copy suffers from a wobble when at 50mm. At 50mm, it is soft so I don't use it that much at that FL. From 24-35, it is very dependable. It really shines when used with film|FF where 24mm is 24mm :)

Get one if you find one, you'll absolutely love this lens. It's a keeper :)
reviewer#3678 date: Jun-5-2008
compared to:minolta 28-85 3.5-4.5 (old)
minolta 35-70 4.0 (old)
minolta 50 1.7
sigma 28-70 2.8 (non EX)
tamron 28-105 2.8
price paid:300USD (used)
positive:old good quality minolta lens
small
light
good, usefull range
perfect colors
sharp
negative:it is what it is... don't expect more! :)
comment:I bought this lens as I wanted something "better" than 50mm 1.7...

How is it better? For first - minimal focus distance is shorter, it is zoom so Yo can do what You can't with 50mm lens...

It has beautiful bokeh, lovely colors and even on A700 sensor it is quite sharp... Yes, of course, not as sharp as 50mm but... Do You really need such a sharpness anyway?

So, if You need small lovely lens that is superb in every little aspect, You should go for this little gem. I just love it and it never goes off my A700, unless I replace it with beercan ;)

And If You have 100-300 APO or 70-210 3.5-4.5, attach it's lens hood to this one and flare will be gone! :) It doesn't shade the corners and looks just like killer :D

And don't ask me, what lens would be better than this... After long searching and changing I just found my BEST... Here it is - 24-50!!
reviewer#3677 date: Jun-5-2008
compared to:Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 EX DG
price paid:180 (ex+)
positive:Small & compact
easy to use lens
negative:Build a little bit weak
Hood?!?
comment:It was a great lens which I always had as an easy to go lens; picture quality is typical Minolta Beercan Generation very good - I really loved it with every picture I shot; finally I sold it as it was too slow for me - I replaced it with the 2.8 Sigma 28-70.
The hood is nonsens, it doesn't help; build is okay, but zoom ring feels a little bit loose, but is always okay!
Rare lens not noticed by others - for I reason I can't understand; lens is underestimated - for sure.
reviewer#2657 date: Aug-26-2007
compared to:18-70 kit, Min 70-210 4.5/5.6, Tamron 90mm macro
price paid:145. usd
positive:Sharp, Fast autofocus, light weight, great color, low distortion and CAs, price
negative:nothing significant
comment:In my opinion this lens is a real gem, yet I don't think I have ever seen it reccomended in a lens forum on this site. It's range, although not as wide as some, more than meets my needs for a wide angle architectural/landscape lens. I have the Sony 18-70 kit lens which I initially thought quite satisfactoty but never use it since I got this one. The excellent highlight and shadow detail combined with the rich colors and sharpness produces pictures that are typically crisp and pleasing to look at, something I can not often say for the kit lens. While very good wide open, all the way to 50mm, at 24mm, stopped down to f7-8 its sharpness is awesome. Although I have occasionally experienced flare issues I haven't found it to be a signifigant problem. Given my experience with them it is a mystery to me how this and the equally overlooked 70-210 4.5/5.6 recieve so little attention from fellow Dyxum members.
reviewer#2533 date: Jul-10-2007
positive:Sharpness fully open
Very good distortion control
Compact & Lightweight
negative:Nothing specific
comment:Originally launched in the late 1980s, not long after the release of Minoltas first auto focus cameras (e.g. 7000), this was an early "wide angle" zoom. It is important not to forget that at this time, an angle of coverage on full frame of 24mm would be regarded as quite extreme in a zoom lens design - most standard zooms would start at around 35mm, or maybe 28mm if they were newer more adventurous designs! The lens used a relatively complex design that changes the size of the aperture during zooming to maintain a constant aperture.

The sharpness of this lens is surprisingly good. Technical tests at the time revealed a solid performance. At 24mm, central resolution is very good straight from full aperture, with corners that are also good. (Corner resolution on any wide angle zoom will never match central resoltuon at full aperture, though should improve when stopping down. It is an inherant weakness of wideangle zoom design). Stopping down by a single stop improves performance, and brings near parity from centre to edge. Overall performance on full frame at 24mm is very good, and can be used at full aperture with confidence.

Performance across the focal length range is consistent. At the 50mm end, the overall performance is also strong, with good centre and corner performance from full aperture. Stopping down improves performance to very good.

The lens exhibits the "classic" look of early 1980s lens designs. Colour is well saturated and gives the "liquid" feel to some Minolta lenses of this era, which appeared to favour micro-contrast over absolute resolution (see my comments on Minolta 35-200 Xi and Minolta 24-85 f3.5-4.5). Contrast is moderate by current standards, but this tends to protect shadow detail, and I find it preferable and more "pictorial" than the current trend for aggressively high contrast modern lens designs. Overall colour and contrast are very good to excellent (borderline 4 or 5).

The lens is in typical early Minolta AF livery, with a shiny black surface and wide ribbed zoom ring. Construction is mostly engineering grade plastic and some metal (e.g. lens mount). A typical Minolta thin clip-on lens hood in included. Filter size is a modest 55mm. Overall it is a lightweight comapct lens, but better made than modern kit lenses.

One of the advantages of such a modest zoom range is surprisingly good control of rectalinear distortion. The specification would have been dictated by it's vintage and lack of significant computer aided design. Lens designs of the time relied on the knowledge and experience of the designer and what was possible; today, lenses may be designed and prototyped on computer before a sample is ever manufactured. By designing a lens with a modest zoom range, the distortions in the lens are kept within a manageable range, which can then be corrected for. The result is that whilst there is a small amount of rectalinear distortion and field distortion (barrel distortion at 24mm and pin-cushion distortion at 50mm), edges remain remarkably true and flatness of field is very good. Surprisingly for a zoom, the lens could be used for architectural work without great concern.

The front element is of modest size and not extremely convex, therefore I have never noticed any significant problem with flare.

Overall, a very good performance. I like the "look" of the pictures taken with this lens very much. I find the low distortion, wide coverage on full frame, and very good performance wide open ideal for city and architectural use. A lovely little lens.
reviewer#1273 date: Oct-6-2006
compared to:- 24-105/3.5-4.5 (D)
- 28-75/2.8 (D)
- 50/1.7
- 28/2.8
price paid:$130 (Used)
positive:- Light Weight
negative:- Odd range
- Not sharp wide open
comment:I expected this lens to be much sharper than the 24-105; however, after testing the two lenses, the 24-105 was sharper at all ranges and apertures up to 8 between 24-50. It's an odd range, especially considering the 1.5 crop factor on a digital camera. Both the 50/1.7 and 28/2.8 produced sharper pictures than the 24-50/4 as well. At the current used prices ($115+) I really can't recommend this lens unless you simply need it to feel a void in ranges.

You might also find this thread of interest:
reviewer#1015 date: Jul-12-2006
- very sharp
- minimal distortion
negative:- filter rotates
- flare
- range a bit short at WA end
comment:A very good zoom : sharp, small, practically no distortion.
Its range becomes a bit less interesting with digital (36-75 equivalent) but is quite useful nonetheless.
Its main problem is flare, care must be taken when taking pictures with strong lights around.
This lens has become my walkaround lens because of its size, weight and very good picture quality.
reviewer#1004 date: Jul-9-2006
compared to:20/2.8,28-85/3.5-4.5,28-100kit
positive:Cheap, sharp, good AF speed.
negative:Flare, filter rotation annoying.
comment:I noticed no distortions and the color was fine. It's small and light and a decent travel lens, but flare was an issue even when the sun isn't in the frame, even with the useless hood on. Not as sharp as the primes in the range, as expected.
reviewer#900 date: Jun-8-2006
positive:
comment:[Note: Performance judged on usage with a full frame camera]

I don't understand why this lens has not become more popular, even in the film days. It's sharpness is good at 35mm and 50mm. But it is really outstanding at 24mm (stopped down a bit), where this lens is the most likely to be used. I was quite shocked to see that this lens at 24mm and f:8 was the best performer of all the lenses I have. Yes, it's better than the 28mm f:2 or the 85mm G.

This is a very rewarding lens when used in its sweet spot.
reviewer#441 date: Jan-24-2006
positive:- Good standard range for digital (eq. 35-75mm)
- Very sharp
- Compact and light
negative:- Front lens turns when focusing
comment:Sharp is very good at 24mm and 35mm wide open and excellent >f/5.6, quite good at 50mm wide open and very good >f/5.6.

Very compact, this is an excellent lens for travel.
reviewer#261 date: Dec-4-2005
positive:Light and solid
negative:Lens turns when focusing
comment:In my opinion, very good lens, but unforunately with 7D it shifts to a 36-75 mm, so a bit "tele" and long for life-reportage. Perhaps I should buy a 12-24 mm, but when Minolta will be produce it?.....
;-)
reviewer#97 date: Jul-25-2005
compared to:Tamron 3.5-4.5 / 19..35mm
positive:Light weight
Fast autofocus
negative:Lousy flare control
Front turns with AF
comment:I liked it due to its size and quick response.
With 7D, its focal range isn't very attractive anymore and the lower sharpnes becomes apparent.
Biggest problem is flare control, even with the associated lens hood. For many years, I used a rectangular 24mm lens hood, which I had to readjust after each focusing.

The Tamron 19..35mm is better in any respect except AF speed, color and of course size.
reviews found: 51    << 1 2