Minolta AF 100mm F2.8 Macro D A-mount lens reviews

reviews found: 60    << 1 2
reviewer#3094 date: Dec-21-2007
price paid:550 usd (new)
positive:sharp,smooth bokeh,good build
comment:this is a great lens for macro and portrait, the bokeh makes the subject pop, almost three dimensional, for macro the reach is good enough so as to not disturb u'r subject,
extremly shalow dof, the dof calculator tels me at 20 cm dof is 0.02 cm thats 1mm in front and 1mm behind but if u get it right the results r amazing, u can see the spider shot in the galary how small the dof is!!
if u dont have it pick it up...
reviewer#2999 date: Nov-30-2007
compared to:Vivitar Macro 100mm f3.5.
Tamron 90mm f2.8.
Manual Focus precision
Focus lock
negative:AF hunt on low light conditions
comment:This lens is absolutely fantastic to be used as macro, sharpness is superb and OOF is really beautiful, the problem I see to do portraits is the sharpness, too much, you should do postprocess to remove unwanted detail.
reviewer#2967 date: Nov-23-2007
compared to:Minolta 200/2,8 APO
price paid:500 usd (used)
positive:sharp, macro 1:1, very well built
negative:slow, often hunting (better on A700), zooming when focusing
comment:slow as macro lenses are - expected
reviewer#2909 date: Nov-6-2007
reviewer#2887 date: Oct-31-2007
compared to:minolta 50mm f2.8 macro rs
high contrast
35cm mfd
Does it's job(macro work) well
circular aperture
focus clutch mechanism
negative:purple fringing in high contrast situations
Poor auto focus accuracy towards infinity
Not an interior focus lens
comment:The lens excels at macro photography.
reviewer#2760 date: Sep-20-2007
comment:A phantastic lens
reviewer#2370 date: May-27-2007
compared to:Minolta 50 f1.4
Minolta 70-210 f4
Sigma 28 f1.8 (old version)
price paid:US$550
Well built
negative:AF is a bit slow if hit has to "hunt" in low contrast or big changes from shot to shot.
comment:Sharp!! Its great for walk around & portraits, especially when f2.8 is needed. Its also lighter than the beercan. For normal use it helps to keep the focus limiter on as in tricky lighting I've occasionally had it hunt a bit but I expect any lens would in those conditions; as it still has a big range this can be a bit slow. Its naturally stunning for macros.
reviewer#2353 date: May-25-2007
compared to:Konica-Minolta 2.8/50 macro D
positive:Everything: buy it, and enjoy!
negative:Nothing so far (after 1 year experience)
comment:This is the perfect lens: sharp and compact, very well built. During AF the focus ring does not rotate (coupling mechanism), but it is perfectly usable in MF mode, as there is no free play (the same is not true for the 2.8/50 D, because of the flimsy connection).
In terms of IQ it is very similar to the 2.8/50 macro, which means: perfect;-)
reviewer#2246 date: May-2-2007
compared to:Sigma 105mm macro. Vivitar 100mm macro. Tamron 90mm macro.
price paid:570 US (new)
positive:The most important positive is the overall quality. The build quality is very good and solid. Aside from the obvious macro capability, it is in my opinion the perfect portrait lens. Even over zoom lenses.
negative:The lens hood is a little "plasticy"
comment:The rubber focusing ring "creeps" (rotates) when you push too hard at either end of the focus range. I see this as a good thing. It prevents you from putting too much pressure on the lens when focusing manually. And since the rubber part of the focusing ring rotates relative to the focusing barrel that it's on, it prevents wear spots from your finger tips pressing in the same spots all the time. The lens focusing ring was probably designed this way, and only the outer rubber part rotates - sliding over the outer lens barrel. But it's not loose at all - it takes a bit of finger force before it begins to move. I believe at least one upcoming Sony will be FF or nearly so. That will make this lens 100mm again, instead of 150mm equivalent on the a100. That's good for me since macros in the 90mm to 105mm focal length range are my most used of all my lenses. The Minolta Maxxum lens is a little better than my Tamron, Sigma, and Vivitar. But all of them are truly great - I can hardly wait to mount it on my first DSLR. I passed on the a100 and previous digital Minoltas because my Maxxum 9 satisfied me. I don't understand the comments from other
users about the "slow" AF of macro lenses. My lens hardly ever hunts,and the AF speed is quite fast - MUCH faster than I could by hand - and I got compliments about the AF speed from a photographer using a different camera brand (I'll say it was either canon or another brand).
reviewer#2037 date: Mar-25-2007
compared to:Tamron 180/3.5
Sigma 105/2.8 EX DG
positive:A still compact Macro lens. Does not expand too much when going to close focus distance.
negative:The build quality is ok, but feels a bit "plastic". The lens is too small to feature a tripod collar, whish would help composing when on tripod due to the better balance.
comment:Not used as often as the quality exellent suggest. The Tamron 180/3.5 Macro usually wins when packing the bag. This is due to the also excellent quality of the tammy and the fact that, after you've packed the cam, big tripod, quick release plates, spare batteries, wire release, flash with spare batteries, other lenses and ... the difference in weight/size between the Minolta and the Tammy is not as big anymore as seemed to be when starting to pack.
reviewer#2011 date: Mar-23-2007
compared to:Vivitar 100/3.5 Macro
Minolta 24-105/3.5-4.5 D
Canon 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Canon 80-200/2.8 L
price paid:450.00 USD (new)
positive:Razor sharp
Well built
Recessed front element means I can leave the hood at home
negative:Slow AF, hunts in low light
comment:An excellent lens like nearly all macros are.

Sharpness: Yes. Corner to corner, wide open and stopped down. Yes, you'll undoubtedly see diffraction effects as you stop down to F32 but that's 1) unavoidable due to the laws of physics and 2) not worth complaining about because you'd only do that to get more DOF on macro shots and in that case, it'll still be sharp enough.

Color: Nothing to complain about. Maybe a hair less rich than my 85/1.4 but who cares.

Build: Excellent. Feels nice and solid, big without being too big and hefty without being too heavy. Balances surprisingly well on my 5D. Has a nice big focusing ring, a focus limiter (a little hard to switch, but also hard to switch by accident), and a focus hold/DOF preview button.

Distortion: None.

Flare: The recessed front element makes it practically a non-issue unless a light source is in the frame.

Notes: I managed to score a killer deal. Were it not for that, I'd have a hard time choosing this lens over more affordable alternatives like Tamron's excellent 90/2.8 SP, Sigma's affordable 105/2.8 EX, and of course the Vivitar/Cosina/Phoenix 100/3.5 plastic fantastic.

AF is slow, as macros tend to be. However, in good light with the focus limiter on, it's good enough. I've done street shots with this and it was able to keep up with just about anything I threw at it. I haven't yet tried to track fast-moving bird and the like, though.
reviewer#1982 date: Mar-17-2007
price paid:700 DM
positive:razor sharp, bokeh, build
negative:nothing at all
comment:It's an absolutely fine lens
reviewer#1921 date: Mar-7-2007
compared to:all my lenses
price paid:many money
positive:very sharp,
very good mechanic
comment:superior lens,
think one of Minolta's finest! Me Too!
reviewer#1893 date: Feb-24-2007
compared to:Sigma 70-300 (4-5.6) DG APO Macro
price paid:549.95 USD (new)
positive:- Focus range limiter
- Excellent sharpness even at 2.8
- Macro 1:1
- Amazing bokeh
- Beautyful colors
- Front doesn't rotate
negative:- A bit plastic feel
- The rubber focusing grip creeps
- Hunting focus
- Crapy hood
comment:Amazing lens! Colorful, sharp and the bokeh...! I think one of Minolta's finest! Great for portraits too (however the slow focus and the 1.5x makes a bit hard to stabilize handheld even at 2.8 in cloudy weather). Glad to catch one out of the last load!
reviewer#1808 date: Feb-10-2007
positive:No distortions, awesome sharpness, very good bokeh.
negative:Slow AF (it's a macro...).
comment:It there was such a thing as "too sharp", perhaps this lens could be an example. :)
BTW, you could change "too sharp" for "perfection".

There's a price to pay for such perfection, though: it is very unforgiving.
reviewer#1805 date: Feb-10-2007
compared to:Canon FD 100mm f2,8
price paid:$499.95 (New B&H)
positive:Everything
negative:None
comment:The Maxxum 100mm f2.8 Macro D was my third Minolta lens purchase. My 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 D and 50mm f1.7 couldn't give me the Bokeh, the perspective of a 100mm Macro and overall sharpness, color, contrast, etc. I've purchase 7 additional Maxxum lenses since, and still I consider this my best lens -- my personal favorite. It is a Macro, so you may expect it to focus a little slower than a good non-Macro 100mm lenses, though it focuses quickly enough for me.
reviewer#1689 date: Jan-22-2007
compared to:- none that I have - or can afford after this one
price paid:US$520
positive:- Sharp
- Bokeh
- Circular aperture
- Focus limiter
- Did I mention sharpness and bokeh
negative:- AF Slow as molasses
- Wish the build felt a little sturdier - not so much plastic
comment:Got this for a song. Beautiful bokeh - nice and creamy. Macro is really nice. The pictures that come from it are winners in my collection. You can see why this is one of the top Minolta lenses.

Although it is hard to use with children and animals because they don't stop moving for a second and the AF loves to hunt - and hunt - and hunt - even with the focus limiter.

But I love this lens. It just sucks that the 1.4 magnification on the digital makes it awkward to use indoors sometimes.
reviewer#1663 date: Jan-16-2007
ADI
Large Focus Ring
Still available new
negative:No case available
comment:Just got this, but the quality is readily evident. No plasticy feel for me...well balanced. Better feel than the 100 soft focus. Sharper wide open, too. The slow focus may make me keep the SF for portraits, but as has been said, this lens is the standard to determine what you or your camera are capable of.

Will have to test against my 100 Phoenix, but I'm pretty sure it'll be lots better.

The hood and large focus ring are nicer than the original version or RS.

Now, if I can just find a case before it gets scratched. ;-)
reviewer#1547 date: Dec-17-2006
compared to:Minolta 17-35 2.8-4.0 (D)
Minolta 28-85 3.5-4.5
Nice pleasing colors
negative:AF is slooooow
Feels a little plasticky
Hood feels cheap
comment:The first lens that I'm reviewing here and you can guess why! This is perhaps my favorite lens among the ones I own in spite of a few limitations that it has and is also one of the reasons why I still stay with Minolta and wait patiently for Sony to deliver. The photos from this lens just have that special 'zing' to them that makes the subjects pop and may make you seem a much better photographer than you really are ;)

It is razor sharp, has a rich creamy bokeh to die for and produces nice pleasing color. If you can, get this (D) version over the older versions as this has a bigger and better focus ring and of course ADI metering. It can also be used as a portrait lens but some post-processing will be needed to soften the portraits as it is brutally honest on human skin!

Coming to the few and ultimately minor limitations, the build is not up to the old 'all metal' Minolta standard but nevertheless it does feel solid. I can have a cup of coffee while this lens autofocusses! But then this is a macro lens so AF speed is not its selling point. I usually do MF unless the subject is very bright, some distance away and contrasty. I wish Minolta had spent a little more money on the hood. The hood feels as if it was first made for a cheap kit lens and then put on this as a cost saving feature! But then I hardly ever use the hood so it is only a minor gripe.

Perhaps an exaggeration but to me this is 'G' glass all but in name. Has given me some of my favorite photos, a few of which you can see here: http://www.arthedains.com/portfolio/macro/
reviewer#1495 date: Nov-29-2006
Feels good
negative:Price
comment:A very nice piece of glass both for macro and non macro shots. Very sharp even wide open. Very nice feel for manual focusing. Color and bokeh is also very nice.
reviewer#1437 date: Nov-18-2006
compared to:any macro ...
positive:Min focus 13.5 in
Sharp even wide open
Bright
negative:Slow
comment:Awesome macro lens! Sharpness and bokeh must be seen to be believed. Well worth the extra $100 over Tamron 90, and Sigma 105 mm macros. Would not trade mine for any other. Fantastic detail with A100
Slow, you could fall asleep while it 'hunts' from infinity to shortest throw but for the loud zoom noise. Limit switch works only on extreme ends. Hood hits your lens holding hand in storage position while using it :)
reviewer#1398 date: Nov-8-2006
compared to:Vivitar 100/3.5, Minolta 50/1.7
price paid:549 USD (new @ B&H)
positive:- Wonderful bokeh
- Sharp
- Focus limiter and lock
- Circular aperture
negative:- CA (significant)
- AF speed (full "hunt" - from infinity to 1:1 and back takes 3.3s on 7D, 3.0s on 5D, 2.8s @fast AF and 3.8s @slow AF on α700) - however, reasonably fast for distant shooting
comment:A pleasure to use! There's nothing better in 100mm/macro area I think. Better bokeh than Sigma 105/2.8
reviewer#1295 date: Oct-10-2006
Working Distance
Color
Overall
Focus limiter
negative:Price, but you get what you pay for
Hunting focus if you don't use the limiter
comment:I'll keep this brief. If there is any one lens that noone should ever sell, it should be this lens. If you are having a problem with your shots not turning out how you want them to, bring this lens and you will most likely only have to criticize your own composition instead of the sharpness in the photos. It's great for portraits, overall telephoto at this range, and especially macro.
reviewer#1230 date: Sep-25-2006
compared to:50mm f/2.8 macro (non RS, old version). Price :)
price paid:USD 549.95 (new)
positive:Focus limit switch, focus lock clutch, large manual focus ring which doesn't rotate during AF. Sharp, clear images, non rotating front element, circular aperture
negative:Plastic body unlike its predecessors. Focus limit switch could be improved.
comment:This lens is perfect for macro and good as a standard 100mm as well. I don't mind paying more for quality glass of this caliber.

As expected, images are flatter compared to the 50mm f/2.8 macro and working distance is different. You also need a tripod when getting really close due to the 1.5x FOV crop translating it to a 150mm macro.

Seems that Sony is about to discontinue this lens (sad face)
reviewer#809 date: May-19-2006
compared to:Minolta 50/2.8 Macro, Minolta 85/1.4(D)G, Sigma 50/2.8 Macro
positive:Sharpness, bokeh
negative:MF feeling
comment:It's not only macro purpose but all-round tele lens for APS-c.
reviewer#602 date: Mar-21-2006
compared to:Minolta 100-300 Xi, Sony 70-300G
positive:Sharp, fast, well built.
negative:It isn't a point-and-shoot lens - to get the best out of it takes a bit of practice.
comment:Various reviews, and my own pictures, confirm that this lens is best at or near its max aperture - peaking at f/4, I'd say. f/11 is OK but by f/22 it's getting quite soft. This means for a really sharp picture, you need to work with a very shallow depth of field - which can be a real challenge for hand-held shots, whether of bugs or people.

I was new to macro when I got this lens, and I had great difficulty getting any usable pictures because of the DOF issue until I bought my 5600 HS(D) flash, which allows me to work easily with smaller apertures (mostly f/11). But since then I've had a ball!

There's no denying this is a classic lens - I hope and expect to discover its potential (and mine!) over many years!
reviewer#258 date: Dec-4-2005
positive:Image quality outstanding.
Nice handling.
Magnification scale nice to have.
Build quality is very solid.
negative:No tripod mount available AFAIK.
Hood not petal-shaped (a bit difficult with polariser)
comment:This is a fantastic macro lens. I have always been suprised at just how good an image you can get with this lens on a 7D.
Mind you, great with slide film in a 7 too.
I bought mine new from B&H, it's worth every cent.
Manual focusing is quite good.
Unconditionally recommended.
I would say this is the best prime lens in terms of image quality that I own.
reviewer#116 date: Sep-24-2005
positive:Extremely sharp very good for Portraits too.
negative:Slow AF
comment:It’s a collectors Item.
reviewer#54 date: Feb-18-2005
positive:Sharpest blade that I owned.
negative:Erh.. price?
comment:This is a great lens! Besides using it for macro, I use it as a standard 100mm prime as well. Just remember to set the focus range switch to limit, else it zoom and extend the lens all the way out (at least more than half the lens length). :D

Did I mentioned? SHARP! SHARP! SHARP!
reviewer#9 date: Nov-21-2004
compared to:Minolta 100mm f2.8 non D version
positive:Image quality
Large focusing ring
Well build, though don't feel as solid as older one.
Working distance is sufficient
negative:none noted
comment:I have had this lens about 6 months now. Previously have the Minolta 100mm f2.8 non D version. I was impress with it so I decided to purchase the D version to use with my Dynax 7.

Quality is as sharp as macro lens can be.. it is very easy to use as it has fairly large focussing ring.

The hood is massive and it is excellent to control flare.

I normally use a Tamron SP 2x teleconverter (white) to increase the working distance. Image quality is excellent.

Overall, it is the same image quality with the older version, but i like D version simply because of the focusing ring.
reviews found: 60    << 1 2